Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rentable GPS units anywhere in Winnipeg?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Rentable GPS units anywhere in Winnipeg? Reply with quote

Just a quick question. I have a friend who's wanting to set up some kind of geocaching event (not sure what their name on geocaching.com is unfortunately), and are wondering if there's a place to rent GPS units for those that don't have one.

Anyone know of any places in Winnipeg?

bevro

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what their policies are but you can try Michelle Gervais at Tourisme Riel on Provencher @ 233 8343. They have some Garmin Gekos available. I have recommended some of the groups that I have provided training to call her. TTFN Very Happy
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Added note: I've got some additional information too.

I've also been informed that if possible, the person setting this up will be doing so at King's Park, setting up temporary geocaches. I've already informed them that there's like... a half-dozen or so there at least already, but they wanted to set up temporary ones for... whatever specific thing they're calling it. I haven't gotten THAT part of the detail yet.

But yeah... they're trying to set up an instructional "about geocaching" type of event through the U of M, and have asked me if I knew if the MBGA would be willing to help, or have several products (shirts, TB tags, stickers, whatever the MBGA sells, haven't checked anytime recently) they could showcase and/or sell there.

Now, the thing is... they're quite familiar WITH geocaching, but have not yet gone (I'll be helping 'em find the Kings Park caches when they get a hold of me next. They're apparently just now or very soon making an account on geocaching.com). Not sure why they're wanting to make this thing without being more experienced, but I'll be trying to help along the way too. Hopefully when things start coming together, some experienced people from here can help us newbies out as well... seeing as I'm not all that good at public speaking or events and whatnot. Kinda shy and soforth Razz

I'm waiting for them to get back to me with some more information on this, at which point I'll make a new topic detailing what all the fixin's are for this event. Lemme know if anyone can point us in a good direction or hurl us a helping hand (if they're available) whenever this happens.

I'll also get you the geocaching name of who's setting this up when they get back to me with it. Their name is Serena anyway... not sure of the last name offhand :/

Oh, a little bit more info to boot that my roommate just gave me. They're looking for about 6. If they can't rent from a store, they'd be looking to rent (with a damage deposit, or course) units from other geocachers.

But yeah, more info as I get it.

bevro

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before offering up existing caches to potential cachers ( ie muggles), I typically ask permission from the owners of any caches in the area that I may bring a training group to. Some of these caches have taken a lot of thought and effort to place and all you need is one person with a mean streak to vandalize it for whatever reason. There are some awesome caches I'd hate to see muggled in this area. I will usually plant temporary caches when I put on a training session and remove them once the group has found them, no harm done if they are lost and our secret society remains hidden! Wink If I do get permission, at least the owner is aware.
burchil

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I messed something up - I tried to post a reply and it didn't show up. Here is the second attempt.

I agree with Bevro's comment I always ask when running a workshop. There has always been positive feedback, and on a couple of occasions (you know who you are) the cache owner checked and refilled the caches with new stuff.

If your friend is doing this thing through the UofM (rec services?) have them check with MEC. When I have done workshops for them in the past I have been able to get a some of the MEC rental units (eTrex series). There was also some support relationship at that time between MEC and rec services that I don't see on the WWW anymore.

In any case MEC does have rental units for trips. I don't know how much they charge.

If that does not work I have a GPS76 and Lowrance iFinder Pro that could probably be used.
theinstallguy

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Well this is my first post here and as such, I would like to offer my help.
My brother and I have opened a new online store to promote geocaching products and services in Manitoba. We wanted a local resource for Manitobans(and others, of course) and we were also tired of paying outlandish shipping charges. Smile

Anyway, if you are interested about knowing about us, PM me. I won't plug it here. That being said, We would be willing to offer up some GPS units for rent, if need be. We will just need a little notice of the event.

Other than that, I would be willing to donate the geocaching stickers for the caches free of charge if needed for all caches in the event. We don't expect anything in return, no plugs, no ads, nothing. We just think it is a great idea and would like to offer a little help and support.

Scott
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent... and still waiting on more info from Serena.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: