Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Furthest distance travelled for the sake of 1 cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theinstallguy

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Furthest distance travelled for the sake of 1 cache Reply with quote

After logging my FTF for Bus Stop Drop
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4d8ecd31-771b-4485-b588-4d9b07168662

I found that I had traveled quite some distance for this single cache.
I then thought, I wonder if other cachers have made a long trek to log that find.

So I purpose a question.

what is the farthest you have traveled in search of a single cache?

Rules:

1. It cannot be on the way to gramma's house in calgary or other road trip

2. Cache events excluded

3. It must be travel for one cache and for the sake of getting one cache.

4. Interesting stories and deviations from the rules always welcome!

Mine to date is the Bus Stop Drop cache. It was just over 60 Miles round trip. Cached in right after work and went right home for supper Smile
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: 920 km Reply with quote

How about this epic 920 km trip for Untouchable on the tail end of Easter.

Route Travelled courtesy of Google maps

Details of the journey to Untouchable

Granted we did pick up a cache or two on the way home but it was a single purpose one cache trip. No family or relatives to visit over there.

Quite crazy in retrospect, but fun none the less.

signalanitongue
Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three hour fifteen minute drive (130 crow miles; about 180 road miles one way) to try for FTF. All we got was a DNF since the cache had been archived after we left home.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=acd5fb48-4a8b-47e8-b2b5-5476cc4e9b44
We did find one "consolation" cache on the way home. Caches were not as plentiful three years ago.
junglehair

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would have said Rochester, NY to Jacksonville, FL for GeoWoodstock III, but you said events were not included.

Probably the next longest trek I've done for the sake of a single cache was from Rochester, NY to just outside of Washington, DC for the now archived Project APE cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4c07040b-ffef-404a-a842-a76dad7d3344. Of course, there were several other caches done along the way, but the purpose of that trip was to pick up the APE icon. 370 miles (almost 600 km) one way.
slippery_1

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started out by saying if my name is to be on a cache then I feel I realy should physically be there to lay claim to the cashe.
So I left The Pas, with the intent to find red rover SE 509.2km from your home coordinates http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7e3ac90d-e48d-4d5e-8e45-328ec9c7108e
While there I again decided to go for Thanks T; SE 524.3km from your home coordinates http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=58ac5dbb-f60a-4781-a0af-2f8a5cd55da1.

Another time I was Driving from Wpg to Bdn, and was on my way home when I saw another cache come out...drove from Bdn to Minitonas with the sole intention of getting this one before anyone else...A good read my guess would be around 250 miles from Bdn, and about 110 miles from The Pas;
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d430d3a1-5c64-4c23-9d0d-d4cda98dfbfa&log=y&decrypt=
However it seems nmrider has made it a role of his to ensure I do not get any of his ftf's?
bevro

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The furthest distance I've gone for a cache was 6535 km east to drop off a TB headed to Holland. I needed to deliver the bug somewhere near its owners and the closest cache that I actually found was in Ghent, Belgium (Specht) where we spent a few days. I tried finding a cache in Holland but all the caches in the area I was at were multis and the translation off the computer didn't come through very well.
burchil

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few samples - all of them on my blue HPV. All of these were done only to go looking for a single cache (and possibly go for a ride).

The longest I have travelled for a single cache (that was eventually found) was Winnipeg GPS Validation Network. This may not count since it is a multi, but it took one month and ~340km - the longest leg at 117km.

I did 125km to not find 'April Foolish'.

The longest single cache ride that I have done was 158km. This included a stunning trip through Warren and Stonewall, 60km+ winds which were great going north and very bad going south. The direct line trip should have been much shorter but I was having far to much fun going with the wind and overshot the cache location a bit.

I have done a number of other similar (possibly longer) rides that involved caching but there was either more than 1 cache involved or there was some other purpose to the ride.
ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like burchil, a single cache may have spurred a trip, but many others were found along the way. I've done several large loops to the east through the whiteshell for those reasons. One of the more memorable ones: I was in Portage one day, found a spot to hide a cache. The next day a cache was published in that exact spot. I returned the next day to grab the FTF on it and carried on to get the FTF on Trilateration at Riding Mountain. Of course I stopped and did many other great caches around Riding Mountain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: