Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade to Garmin 60CSX or keep the 60CS ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winnipegk5

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Upgrade to Garmin 60CSX or keep the 60CS ?? Reply with quote

Wondering who has upgraded from a 60C or CS to the X version?? I am wondering how much of an improvement you find while in the forest under heavy cover ?? Considering upgrading this week.
ertyu

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know from direct experience, but I think its definitely an upgrade.
From what I've compiled the general consensus is that reception goes in this order to best: Garmin, Magellan, Garmin X. I went from a Magellan to a Garmin X recently. I do notice a difference, the X grabs sats quicker and holds them longer, slightly better reception on each aswell. Not too much of a difference on tracking most of the time. Does seem to stay stable in tougher areas though. But its hard to tell with the Magellan averaging vs the quick Garmin updating.

As for the SX vs X. I got the SX cause the price difference was near zero the way I bought it and extra can't be bad. I find the compass mildly helpful if its calibrated constantly, but I mostly keep it turned off. I never really have a use for the altitude or pressure.

Getting the microsd card in the X is pretty good, but you can't load waypoints to it (POI though). Battery life is very good.

If its a worthwhile upgrade, I don't know. Personal valuation I guess.
junglehair

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely recommend going for the X version. I had the 60C previously and upgraded to the 60CX when I had the opportunity. It is quick to lock on to the satellites and tends to hold the lock better under tough conditions. I have never been a fan of the electronic compass, so I didn't go for the CSX, but that's just personal choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: