Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Reconstructing Gumpy Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: The Reconstructing Gumpy Project Reply with quote

I was recently doing some research into the origins of Geocaching in Manitoba when I came across a dusty old GPX file in a long abandoned folder on my desktop. Suddenly I felt like Indiana Jones prying open a crate for the first time (I’m more of a Lara Croft fan but the analogy wouldn’t have worked as well). I carefully opened the lid to reveal – 100’s of little moldering scraps of paper. Many were too damaged to be legible, but 55 of them were covered in a scrawl and signed by gumpy Smile

There was even the FTF log for our Fish Sucker cache!

To use some of The-Stuntman’s words from Gumpy's Last Splash (A Tribute), “Not only was he an amazing geocacher, but it was his vision that got the MBGA started. He brought so much to Geocaching in Manitoba.” I was very pleased to recover some of the history and hope I don’t offend gumpy by doing so.

It turns out that deleted logs are never truly deleted – only archived - and if you’re the cache owner and know the url you can still view them.

Last edited by TurdleEggs on Oct 02, 2007 2:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
ohmic

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept all the logs from all those who ever found my caches dating back from 2003. Gumpy has left some very lenghty and interesting comments regarding my caches and may have found his first ever geocoin in Enjoy the view :"I ended up taking the geocoin (first one, very nice!)"
It is always very interesting to read old logs, weather on-line or in the log book and see the evolution of the activity over the past few years.
MHz

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too kept the e-mail logs from all my caches and have put Gumpy's logs back as notes on the cache pages including his DNF's and notes. I am however missing his from Bison Castle cache where he tried to beat ertyu for FTF. For some reason, most likely a computer crash, I have lost anything back further than Dec 2004 on that one.
Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to read some more logs by Gumpy, here are 219 of them. Some may be duplicates of TurdleEggs's list.
219 Logs by Gumpy
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve renamed this thread to “The Reconstructing Gumpy Project”

If you’ve got a Gumpy log, post it here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: