Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geoventure 2008 - September 5-7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Geoventure 2008 - September 5-7 Reply with quote

The MBGA is hosting this summer’s BIG EVENT – Geoventure 2008 in beautiful Birds Hill Park.

Last year’s event was lots of fun, and mtolympus has prepared a brand new adventure cache challenge for 2008!

This years event will once again be a weekend campout and hopefully have something for everybody.

* A well treed group use site with modern, heated washrooms and a cook shelter for our exclusive use
* Friday night caching for brave souls
* Saturday’s adventure cache challenge – “Selenitic
* Family friendly group caching
* A Saturday BBQ and Bonfire
* Saturday morning pancake breakfast
* The many features Birds Hill Park has to offer (hiking, biking, rollerblading, horse back riding and the beach)

Cachers are welcome to camp, or just come out for the day.

Follow this link to see pictures and logs from last year’s event.

The planning is still ongoing, and we welcome any suggestions. One thing that will change for sure is the adventure cache challenge won’t start so early in the morning!

Geoventure 2008 will be held the weekend of September 5-7 in Birds Hill Park.

Birds Hill Park is a jewel located close to Winnipeg, and out-of-town Geocachers are invited to come join in for the weekend. Campers and trailers can set up at the group site, or trailers requiring full service hookup can reserve a site at the nearby Birds Hill Park provincial campground.

Last edited by TurdleEggs on May 29, 2008 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: May 29, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put this date on your calendar!

Geoventure 2008 will be held the weekend of September 6-7 in Birds Hill Park. Camping is available Friday and Saturday nights. The cache challenge Selenitic will run Saturday afternoon followed by a supper and bonfire.

Selenitic will start a little later this year to give people more time to arrive. One idea being discussed is to start the day with a pancake breakfast.

If you have any other suggestions about the event, please feel free to post them here.

Me and My 4 Girls

PostPosted: May 29, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wanting to camp for this glorious event, what is the cost, and also are any supples need...like wood for bonfire and so on. And is there a powers supply at this site to charge GPS units?

I fell like a little kid, so many questions and is it time to go yet??? Laughing
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: May 30, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re camping, the cost will be about $14/night. That’s what Birds Hill Park is charging for group use campers.

This years event will be held in the same Group Use site as last years event and you can see some pictures of the site and read some information about it here:

GeoVenture 2007

It’s a group use area with a cook shelter that has running water. There’re a couple of outlets at the cook shelter, but they may be in use so you may want to plan to bring some extra batteries along. Campers can set up anywhere around the grassy area of the group site. You should plan to bring whatever you normally bring to sustain you camping. There will be a group potluck supper and possibly pancake breakfast on the Saturday. You’re on your own for any other meals. As we get closer to the event more details will be available. There will likely be firewood provided for the common fire pit. There are heated modern washrooms within walking distance of the site, and nice heated showers a short drive (or bike ride) away at the main Birds Hill Park campground.

mtolympus

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Get the Party Started! Reply with quote

Hey there everybody, this is mtolympus, the creator of "Capital Punishment," the cache for GeoVenture 2007, and also the soon-to-be-experienced "Selenitic" for GeoVenture 2008. My wife and I have had a lot of fun exploring the backwoods of BHP to create this cache, and are excited to see people race it. It's turning out to be quite a friendly cache, so don't expect too much bush-whacking or bog-walking, though I'd like to get some in there if I can. This year we'll do our best to make it a cache that translates over onto geocaching.com, and hopefully get it live shortly after the caching adventure race. Expect a good couple hours, and that's if you're a good guesser...
Ztirnats

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heading out to BHP for the Geoventure 2008 and needs a Manitoba Provincial Park Pass (annual), one was just dropped in Eric The Ent cache. This will be a kinda FTF for the taker. Razz Razz Razz Razz
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoVenture’s coming up soon! Check the updated listing for pictures of the site and facilities. Waypoints for parking, equipment drop-off and washrooms as well as a bookmark list of the 31 Birds Hill Park caches have been added.

If you’re planning on coming to the MBGA sponsored potluck BBQ, have a look at the cache listing to see what others are bringing. Please post your Will Attend to help organizers know how much food to bring if you’re planning on coming.

Everyone is welcome to camp, or just come out for the day to take part in the cache challenge or potluck BBQ – whatever your schedule permits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Events & Contests Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: