Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIA Geocoins, bugs and people

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me and My 4 Girls

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: MIA Geocoins, bugs and people Reply with quote

Was just wondering if there is a forum or site for just missing coins and bugs? A kind of place to keep a list so people can check last known caches they were in or who had them last? Also people who have given up caching, we have noticed that some caches in the area are neglected and need new guardians.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, probably the best place to keep track of trackables is geocaching.com. You can put them on a watchlist just like a cache. If a trackable has gone missing for a significant amount of time, you can place them into a TB graveyard (sorry, I don't have a URL for one right now).

As for people, some people choose to not continue caching, however we shouldn't assume a neglected cache means the cacher is AWOL. Sometimes people are extremely busy with their real lives that cache maintenance is secondary. Also, for some cachers, they could be chronic non-maintainers.

With that, keep in mind, it's still their cache. If they choose to not replace or not maintain them, that's between them and the cache reviewers (unfortunately).

You can make requests that caches should be looked at by the owner (using the "Needs Maintenance" option on the cache page), that you think the cache reviewer should be aware of a non maintained cache (using the "Needs Archive" open on the cache page), or that you would like to adopt the cache. (I don't have a link for that either, so maybe someone else can post that).

I hope this helps!

junglehair

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link for adopting a cache is http://www.geocaching.com/adopt.
Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although TBs/Geocoins can be sent to a TB graveyard, if they ever show up again, it screws up the mileage. You also need the TBs/Geocoins number in order to grab it, so you can drop it in a Graveyard.
If a cache owner has a cache with a TBs/Geocoins that is no longer there, he can "mark item missing" and the system removes it from the cache listing and places it "in unknown location". The TBs/Geocoins owner can also do this.
If the TBs/Geocoins ever shows up again, the mileage doesn't get screwed up.
HoggerJeff and the Piglet

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who might be interested in a Travel Bug Graveyard, Canada's version of one is here.
Me and My 4 Girls

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks Hoggerjeff and the piglet, might have to use the Graveyard sooner then we had hoped . Have only sent out 7 TB and coins and 3 have gone astray already. People are picking them up and dropping them off but no one is logging them, just leaving notes were they saw them. Might have to go on a road trip and try and retrieve them from there last know where's about. <thinking might have to take a fishing rod with me too> Idea
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give it some time before placing your TB/coins in a graveyard. Newer cachers sometimes may take weeks before logging them, not understanding that someone is waiting for news on them. If you haven't heard in maybe 2 months, then I'd consider placing them in a graveyard.
HoggerJeff and the Piglet

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Dani. Give your bugs some time to surface. I created the Canada graveyard as a place to put a bug I released over a year ago. It disappeared from its initial cache and hasn't been heard from since (kind of ironic since it was called "Can You Hear Me Now?"). Laughing

Me - I would suggest a waiting period of about 6 months. If you can't track them down in that time, they are probably going to stay MIA.
Me and My 4 Girls

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, we e-mail a few people and waited. One person replayed saying sorry they forgot they had it, and the next day it was back on the road to adventure.
eg50

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really been paying much attention to contents in the caches because I'm still learning about these travel bugs and geocoins. I've only been signing the logs so far. Should I be removing these items and noting them somewhere and placing them in my next finds? Today I did quite a circuit from Emerson to La Riviere, hitting Roland, Winkler and Miami aswell. Don't want to be taking something I shouldn't though.
ertyu

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving them is optional. Some of them have goals, but often just moving them is a good thing. I try to be a little bit selective and put TBs in caches that have a bit more traffic and are safe from muggling.
eg50

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you for sharing that. I think I'll leave them be for now until I get more familiar with things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Trackables Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: