Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving Travel bugs and coins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEEPers5130

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Moving Travel bugs and coins Reply with quote

Question for the group.

Why don't people take travel bugs and coins and move them? I see people log the caches but don't take the bugs to move them along. Why is that?

I would be excited to get to move a bug.

Georgette
eg50

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly new at geocaching and am still learning the ropes. I'm not quite sure how and where to move the items to yet. I plan to move some and actually would like to buy some and send them out sometime. But for now I am really enjoying just finding caches. That's my reason anyway.
ertyu

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often don't move them for a couple reasons. A) I can't move them very far B) It may be some time before I find a cache large enough or otherwise suitable enough to drop them in C) I'm not sure of their goals and based on A, not likely to help much D) I worry about finding a safe spot for them so they don't get muggled

I've moved many a trackable item (some fraction of the 393 gc.com says), so it's not very exciting any more. If I find one that is interesting, I might grab it. Otherwise I usually only grab something if its been stuck somewhere or I'm travelling and I can move it a good distance.
Tromelin

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving the coins and bugs isn't an obligation, so people might just want to mention the bug is there to the owner in their log. I tend to mention when I don't find a bug that should be there.

Personally, I grab and move the bugs whenever I can. The only reasons I wouldn't grab a bug: 1- I already moved it before, 2- It clearly has a purpose and picking it up will hinder its progress 3- I only pick one at a time per cache (personal rule I think). I don't care about moving them short distances so long as I move them fast but I'll usually keep it for the next caching expedition. I certainly won't put a bug in a place I feel isn't mugglesafe.

Something that might not be obvious to beginners is that you can discover a bug or coin by taking down it's number and selecting the right option when logging it. Some people really enjoy collecting the icons of the geocoins, events can be a real treasure for them. Personally, I moved all the TBs except a few exceptions, I find that more significant to me, but people can do what they like it is called "moved/discovered" after all.
yodazuk

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also noticed that tb,s or the coins sit for a long pierod od time . They get logged as discovers lots but for the most part they just sit. Personally I like to put the info sheet in with the bug or coin so that people can read what the goal is when they open the cache and can decide weather or not they can help it on its' way right then and there. I love moving bugs or coins as much as possible and I tend to put them on my watch list to see where they end up as I have now played a part in their journey. I find that the coins and tb's are one of the most intresting part of geocaching. I just wish that more people would move them.
Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter will soon be here, so I try to grab TBs/Coins from caches that will not be winter friendly just to make sure that they are not stuck there during our short winter. I may not move them far but at least they stay moving.

TBs/Coins with goals attached tend to get moved more often and in the right direction. I remember a TB that we saw when we were in the States. It had no information attached so we left it. Turns out that it wanted to go to Canada and we could have really helped it, but we left it.
MHz

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mission cards/papers that travel with the TB or geocoin are a great help. I will quite often leave a TB or geocoin if they have no mission attached. I've moved some in the past and had to take them in the opposite direction they wanted to go because they had no mission statement with them. That happened too many times so I stopped moving trackables without cards for the most part.

On the other hand, I've added mission cards to all my trackable items and despite one only wanting to tour Canada in a race no less, it went almost directly over seas and still has not come back over a year later.

Like Peter I will rescue a trackable that has not moved in a long time, is in danger of hibernating with a cache for the winter or one that I know what the mission of it is and can help it. The odd time I will move one because I want the different icon as well but not very often.

Also like ertyu, most of my closest to find caches are nanos of late so hard to say when I could drop a trackable again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Trackables Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: