Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBGA Breakfast and winter caching event
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which date would you prefer?
Saturday, January 24
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Sunday, January 25
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

junglehair

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: MBGA Breakfast and winter caching event Reply with quote

I am trying to organize a breakfast event some time in January or February with group caching to follow. I have a few places in mind that would work well for group caching, but I'd like the opinion of those that would be interested in joining us. Here are some options:

A) Beaudry Park (requires a park pass but has well travelled trails)
B) Labarriere Park (best with snow shoes or skis)
C) Assiniboine Park
D) Assiniboine Forest
E) St. Vital Park
F) Suggestions???

Options C, D and E might have better trails, but chances are more people have found those caches.

Please respond to this post and list your top 3 preferences. Once we know where we are going to cache afterwards, I will select a breakfast location nearby.

Thanks,

junglehair
MBGA Events Coordinator

Last edited by junglehair on Dec 30, 2008 4:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like fun! I'm interested if I'm in town. (Going to Idaho in mid-Feb.)

The challenge with Beaudry trails in winter is that the x-country skiers are simply hostile if you're not on skis yourself. (And it's a primary x-country skiing park.) They loathe it when people ruin 'their' ski trails. I experienced some of that hostility while winter caching there last year even though we did our best to stay out of the ruts. It's unfortunate as it does ruin it for people out for a winter walk in the forest and it's a beautiful place for that. (BTW, I've never had a problem not having a park pass at Beaudry. I can only assume it's because it's a provincial park that has no gate to sell passes.)

I haven't winter cached LaBarriere, but I can only presume the same thing if it's a popular spot for x-country skiiers.

For myself, Assiniboine Park and St. Vital Park are well cached out. However, I still have plenty to get in the forest, espeically the North Forest between Grant and Corydon.

There's always some of the winter friendly caches in Bird's Hill Park.
SiaFhir

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, February 28th is likely the only day I'll be able to make it. My weekends are pretty busy before then.

So assuming I can make it out, then Assiniboine Forest, St. Vital Park, or Bird's Hill Park would work best for me. I do have x-country skis, so the top two choices work for me too, but I want to consider all other members planning to attend as well. I have Assiniboine Park cleaned out except for the zoo.

I look forward to seeing everyone again. Couldn't make the last event, can't make next week's either.
Krissyp

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't cached at Beaudry, St. Vital or Labarriere before. Actually I don't think I've ever even been to any of them. Pretty much have cleaned out Assiniboine Park except the zoo and the second half of a multi. Have only done the half of one multi in Bird's Hill. As for Assiniboine Forest I think we've only done a couple there. I don't have skis despite having them on my xmas list Sad . Still hoping for them though so I guess I'd rather save the ski parks to do when I get skis, even if I have to go buy them myself Razz ! I guess St. Vital or Assiniboine Forest would be my first choices but I'm easy. Definately not available February 7th.
trag_cachers

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these locations are fine with me except for maybe Assiniboine Park as I have found most of those. Assiniboine Forrest might be good as there should still be plenty of potential hiding spots if someone wanted to hide some new caches prior to the event.

I'm not sure if I could actually attend this as the "a" and "g" in trag_cachers have swimming lessons on Saturday mornings and the "a" has soccer on Saturday afternoons. Any opionions on having this on a Sunday (gives us a reason to take a week off from church)? Smile

Sounds like fun! Hope I can make it!!
junglehair

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be on a Sunday if people prefer that. I just didn't want to interfere with Church services for anyone so inclined.

How about a vote - would you prefer Saturday or Sunday for this type of event. It will probably be January 24 or 25 and looks like Assiniboine Forest is a popular choice for everyone.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote's for a Saturday. Indeed, Sunday would interfere with Church services.
ThreeTs

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I expressed in my vote, a Sunday would be preferable. I have bowling, soccer and basketball to contend with on Saturday's. However, you must please the masses.

I've pretty much cleaned out St Vital and Labarriere Park, however I would enjoy a walk in any of those locations mentioned if its not -400 outside! (couldn't seem to find a "damn I'm cold" emoticon in the collection). Would probably prefer either Assiniboine location or even Birds Hill if that was doable!

junglehair

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Saturdays have it. I have made reservations at the Star Grill at the Conservatory in Assiniboine Park for Saturday, January 24 at 9:30 a.m. We will be caching in Assiniboine Forest afterwards - probably starting with Snow Fantasy. The breakfast event will be posted on geocaching.com in the next few days when I can get the coordinates for the restaurant. Thanks for the feedback.
Wagonmaker

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event sounds like fun! I like breakfast... I like geocaching... now I can enjoy breakfaching!

...I also like January 24th...
SiaFhir

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I can most likely make it on the 24th, so I picked that as my preference. Got a dinner outing with friends, but I'm sure the caching will be done by then... I doubt too many people can survive -1,000,000 outdoors for too long.
Riany

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere that requires skis or snowshoes isnt good for us. but the other parks sound alright.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like breakfast and will be there. While we’re at it; I need help with GC16T01, “Heart of the Assiniboine Park” cache. I found the first stage, but the co-ords are so faded they can’t be read. I’ve emailed the owner and then posted a “needs maintenance”, but I haven’t gotten any response. If a previous finder still has the co-ords could bring them, or contact me I would like to get this one off my DNF list.
dirt_girl

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glacier_ice wrote:
That sounds like fun! I'm interested if I'm in town. (Going to Idaho in mid-Feb.)

The challenge with Beaudry trails in winter is that the x-country skiers are simply hostile if you're not on skis yourself. (And it's a primary x-country skiing park.) They loathe it when people ruin 'their' ski trails. I experienced some of that hostility while winter caching there last year even though we did our best to stay out of the ruts. It's unfortunate as it does ruin it for people out for a winter walk in the forest and it's a beautiful place for that. (BTW, I've never had a problem not having a park pass at Beaudry. I can only assume it's because it's a provincial park that has no gate to sell passes.)

I haven't winter cached LaBarriere, but I can only presume the same thing if it's a popular spot for x-country skiiers.

For myself, Assiniboine Park and St. Vital Park are well cached out. However, I still have plenty to get in the forest, espeically the North Forest between Grant and Corydon.

There's always some of the winter friendly caches in Bird's Hill Park.

I think someone clearly needs an education about Beaurdy Park-

In winter, the trails in Beaudry are closed to hiking.

Walking on ski trails ruins them for skiing until there is another snowfall or until hopefully a groomer can reform the trail.

The trailheads are all marked with large easy to read signs that clearly state “Cross Country Skiing Only on Trails.” As well as displaying these signs, the province has also published trail maps that clearly state that in winter the ski trails are closed to hiking. Please download a map for yourself:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/park_maps/winter_maps/winter_beaudry.pdf

Like most skiers I have always bought a park pass. I know it costs money for the province to provide services like bathrooms, warm-up shelters, picnic sites etc. At Beaudry the province also pays for a maintenance worker, a snowmobile, track-set equipment and the fuel for grooming the ski trails.

I don’t understand why some people have the opinion that its perfectly fine to ruin a ski trail. Its a pity that there are ignorant people who take an opinion that rules don’t apply to them and would go forth so selfishly, and ruin a ski area for so many others.

Would you shovel salt and sand on a skating rink so as to ruin the ice surface for skaters? Would you dig up sod from a soccer field? I could just imagine what some hockey/soccer parents would do if they caught someone doing those things.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirt_girl wrote:
glacier_ice wrote:
...The challenge with Beaudry trails in winter is that the x-country skiers are simply hostile if you're not on skis yourself. (And it's a primary x-country skiing park.) They loathe it when people ruin 'their' ski trails. I experienced some of that hostility while winter caching there last year even though we did our best to stay out of the ruts. It's unfortunate as it does ruin it for people out for a winter walk in the forest and it's a beautiful place for that. ...

In winter, the trails in Beaudry are closed to hiking.

I don’t understand why some people have the opinion that its perfectly fine to ruin a ski trail. Its a pity that there are ignorant people who take an opinion that rules don’t apply to them and would go forth so selfishly, and ruin a ski area for so many others.

Would you shovel salt and sand on a skating rink so as to ruin the ice surface for skaters? Would you dig up sod from a soccer field? I could just imagine what some hockey/soccer parents would do if they caught someone doing those things.

I debated responded to this post as I didn't want to add salt to wounds. However, I need to point out some things.

1. According to the link you posted, Beaudry Park is NOT closed to hikers. The groomed X-Country ski trails are reserved for skiers. As glacier_ice posted "we did our best to stay out of the ruts". He's demonstrated that he was mindful of the concerns.

2. You did nothing to dissuade me from thinking that skiers are hostile. I do think your rebuttle was well worded, and I agree it is probably frustrating to have trails that are groomed destroyed. However, I do not think that happened in this instance.

3. I would not put salt on an ice rink. I would also not close a public park to all but one demographic.

I neither consider myself a skier nor a hiker. But to quote Rodney King "can't we all get along".

Reminder: This thread has digressed from it's original intent. If this discussion is to continue, we should do it in a new thread.

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Events & Contests Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: