Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPOT Satellite Messenger for sale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junglehair

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: SPOT Satellite Messenger for sale Reply with quote

A coworker of mine recently won a SPOT Satellite Messenger. He doesn't need it and asked if I knew anyone that might be interested. We use them at work for staff that frequently travel to remote parts of the province.

The SPOT messenger has a built in GPS and uses satellite phone to relay the messages. It works in areas where there is no cellular coverage. You can set up a pre-canned message that everything is OK, or that you need HELP. There is also a 9-1-1 feature that will notify the local emergency services. When you press the OK, HELP or 911 button, it sends your GPS location as well as the appropriate message. You can add up to 10 contacts (email or text message) to receive the message.

This would be good for anyone that does a lot of hiking (or geocaching), or skiing, or snowmobiling in areas where there is no cell service. If you happen to get injured, you can at least notify someone and let them know where you are and that you need help.

The units typically sell for $170 in Canada. He's asking $120 for his. You will also need to pay an annual subscription fee of $100 to use the unit.

More details can be found at
http://www.findmespot.ca

If you are interested, let me know.
slippery_1

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from me, these items are worth their weight in gold if you only have to use them once.
This is a good deal and i highly recommend these if you are out in the enviroment or traveling remote roads anywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Off-Topic Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: