Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blackberry and geocaching
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: blackberry and geocaching Reply with quote

I would like an app that helpsme access and read and search. Geocaching.com. Ideas?
1purplemonkeydishwasher1

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to do searches for cache info, sizes, logs etc. just on my phone, but its slow and i can't quite figure it out so i don't try. I hear some people use a PDA or palm pilot (or whatever they are called). But i to would like to be able to do that while out on the road.
Chewys

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an app on my iPod Touch called iGeocacher. It stores the cache info/write up, hint, and last five log entries (just missing attributes, Winter Friendly, etc). Cache info can be loaded into different groups for sorting, etc. Caches can be searches by name, gc number, maybe others as well. It stores the information in a little database and keeps all information for offline use (no wifi or cell coverage required). If you have the iPhone with the GPS it looks like it could even be used to zero in on GZ (compass screen with bearings and distance), but only on the iPhone. Anyhow, I used it to find Tromelin's Spider Fanatsy...which wasn't loaded in the GPS but the starting coordinates where in my iPod. It has come in handy on several ocassions! If anyone is curious just ask me.
ertyu

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cacheberry.com/ is popular for working with GPX on the Blackberries.

Other than the regular gc.com website and the wap version (http://wap.geocaching.com/) I'm not really aware of anything that interacts with the website for BBs, but I haven't been looking either.

I know groundspeak has the iphone app http://www.geocaching.com/iPhone/default.aspx but nothing specific for BB.
slippery_1

PostPosted: May 05, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed cacheberry in my BB (8330) and it works great, stores the GXP from GC.com and you can read everything listed in the cache listing.
lizardo

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Cacheberry Reply with quote

I have been using Cacheberry for a while. It is awesome. My berry doesn't support all of the features, but for what I need, it works perfectly.

I added a MicroSD card to my blackberry for picture/music storage. This is the same media I use to import my GPX files from GSAK to Cacheberry.

I will either use the USB data cable to transfer it (slower) or just remove the MicroSD card and plug it into my notebook (faster). Although, if you have Blackberry OS 4.5, you can simply e-mail the GPX files to your device and add them that way.

I guess it works as well as any other offline cache viewer, but because it is on a cellular device, you can link right to the cache page for the most up to date info, or log your find real time. The screens are intuitive and the menus are easy to navigate.

Version 2 includes a compass with a waypoint finder. So now you can use your Blackberry to find the cache. And there is a Field Notes option that allows you to enter your cache logs offline, and then e-mail them to yourself so you can cut and paste them into your logs.

All in all, one of the better purchases I have made of Geocaching software. The 30 day trial is free.

Geo-Indy

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: blackberry and geocaching Reply with quote

I picked up a Blackberry Curve last week with the specific intent of using it for geocaching. However there a couple of issues you should be aware of.
First the with the exception of maybe the Storm no Blackberries have a real GPS built in. They all use what is called A-GPS that uses cell tower triangualtion to determine your position. The MTS system does not support A-GPS so you cannot use it for navigating. Rogers or Telus may support it.
There are a couple of programs to use with the BB. Trimble Geocache Navigator and Cacheberry.
Geocache Navigator requires you to have an subscription to their service and a data plan is nessecary. It downloads cache information directly from GC.com. It looked like a good program but might end up being kind of expensive to use.
Cacheberry uses GPX files from GC.com or other programs like GSAK. You can sort your caches in various databases and I think you could also post field notes directly from your phone. If you have a dataplan you could download the caches directly and also log your finds (or DNF's as the case may be)
I took the BB back to MTS because it didn't have a GPS and traded it in for a HTC Diamond PPC. The Diamond has an integral GPS that does not rely on the cell network at all. Uses Satelites just like your typical Garmin or Magellan handheld. I have been using Cachemate on PPCs for a while now and realy like the program. It also includes a compass feature and seems to be very accurate.
Hope this helps.
BTW don't let the sales rep tell you they know for sure what their products do. Do the research on line yourself. There is a ton of information out there.
ertyu

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few of the Blackberries include real GPS receivers. A-GPS is Assisted GPS and it accelerates, enhances and optimizes positioning from GPS by using additional information and calculations available on the cell network. It allows rapid position determination even in difficult or impossible locations for GPS especially for 911. Some phones may be more dependent on the network for GPS functionality or may restrict usage of the GPS hardware for 3rd party apps which would mean it may not be possible to use the GPS in the phone.
Geo-Indy

PostPosted: May 20, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Blackberries Reply with quote

Srry just to be clear I meant that none of the blackberries offered by MTS now do not have internal GPS. (Except the Storm may).
A-GPS has been integrated into all cell phones since 2002 and is used primarily by E911 to locate the phone during an emergency. Some providers do use it for some applications, such as Blackberry or Google maps, and can be used to augment real satelite GPS.
lizardo

PostPosted: May 22, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further clarification...I was referring to the Rogers line of GPS enabled Blackberries. I use the Curve myself. It has a full GPS. It will read data from up to 10 satellites to give you a signal. But the maps are not visible unless you are in a cell service area.
Geo-Indy

PostPosted: May 22, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour me corrected. My wife says I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. I do know that MTS does not support AGPS except for the E911 system.
I switched to the HTC Diamond and am pretty happy with it. Having the unlimited data plan makes all the difference. Downloading cache descriptions directly to the phone is pretty handy.
GeoPahkers

PostPosted: May 31, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new BB Storm from MTS a couple weeks ago and downloaded the Geocache Navigator on it. Seems to work not too bad. The accuracy isn't as good as our Vista HCx but it's sure great to be able to look up cache details and past logs on the spot. Of course it's also quite handy when your teammate takes you take one of those 'cache is not at posted coordinates puzzle caches' but he didn't realize it was one of those and your standing in the middle of an empty field thinking 'What the cache?' Laughing I can also go anywhere anytime and just launch the app and see what caches are in the area without having to plot out a trip before I leave home. We found just the Storm earlier today to find Never Stop Geocaching. It spun us in circles for several minutes but once I ignored the fluctuating distance and just went the way the bearing said to go I ended up at the cache with an accuracy of 12 feet.
KeeGee

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a slightly older used phone that I can use for an offline cache viewer is just the thing for me - no more printing, yet no new cellphone bill (I don't need another cell phone or mobile internet...yet). The older Palms and PocketPCs used to do this, but they seem to have disappeared and evolved into feature-packed phones. What are the minimum features I need to look for when trolling Kijiji for my dream <$100 phone/offline viewer?

Jordan
Geo-Indy

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PPC 6700 that I don't use now since I got my HTC Diamond. It has wifi/bluetooth etc. I used it quite alot with programs like Cachemate for sorting and viewing gpx files and pocket queries.
PM me and we can talk.
candaceandwill

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my Blackberry 8330 (Telus) with Cacheberry to find and log a cache today, the first time without my trusty Garmin. It worked out pretty well because I have my database of pocket queries in Cacheberry and I can sort it based on my current location to find what caches are nearby. From there, read the cache info, visit Gc.com if need be, and then use the Compass feature to find the cache. Accuracy was never better than 10m, but it still works. I wouldnt use it to find a micro in a stand of pine trees but handy when you find yourself somewhere you didnt plan to have time to go caching (like today when I was sitting at the wading pool with my kids and my Garmin was in my truck at home). I can then use the gc.com wap (mobile) site to quickly log my find.

BTW, My pocket queries are emailed right to my BB - super easy!

I love my Blackberry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: