Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trail maps for Winnipeg parks etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucered

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Trail maps for Winnipeg parks etc. Reply with quote

anyone know if there are FREE LEGAL maps available showing the TRAILS for places like Assiniboine, Beaudry, The Forks, Birds Hill etc?

I have been to Assiniboine a few times now to grab some caches, but the Garmin & Ibycus maps don't show trails. I've marked a few for my own use (i'm no expert), but it sure would help to have some complete ones.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get trail maps of most city parks from this website:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/naturalist/ns/trails/trailpoints.asp

I've attached an example.

Assiniboine Forest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  380.75 KB
 Viewed:  528 Time(s)

Assiniboine Forest.jpg

brucered

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. (i even work for the city and didn't know that).

i'm guessing they are NOT uploadable though.
MuStash

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the last couple of months I have walked all of the significant trails within the Assiniboine Forest on the south side of Grant Avenue. My goal was to get some exercise and fresh air in a natural environment and to capture the tracks with my GPS for my own purposes and to share them.

I have attached an image of these tracks superimposed on my MapSource software. I colour coded them to help identify them. The magenta tracks are the Sagimay and Preston Trails which are provided snow clearing by the City. The white trails are the least significant; still used by people but in some cases only one step up from being deer trails with no bush whacking required.

These tracks are all assembled in a gpx file which I would be glad to freely share with anyone who might be interested.

AssiniboineForestTrails (1024x745).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  454.48 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

AssiniboineForestTrails (1024x745).jpg

brucered

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuStash wrote:
During the last couple of months I have walked all of the significant trails within the Assiniboine Forest on the south side of Grant Avenue. My goal was to get some exercise and fresh air in a natural environment and to capture the tracks with my GPS for my own purposes and to share them.

I have attached an image of these tracks superimposed on my MapSource software. I colour coded them to help identify them. The magenta tracks are the Sagimay and Preston Trails which are provided snow clearing by the City. The white trails are the least significant; still used by people but in some cases only one step up from being deer trails with no bush whacking required.

These tracks are all assembled in a gpx file which I would be glad to freely share with anyone who might be interested.

those are awesome. i'd love a .gpx file to upload to my garmin.

thanks,
bruce
MuStash

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this going to work. But I'll try to attach the gpx file to this post and we'll see if that will make it accessible as a download.

Assiniboine Forest Trails gpx.gpx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Assiniboine Forest Trails gpx.gpx
 Filesize:  263.3 KB
 Downloaded:  127 Time(s)

ruylopez

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. The GPX file is downloadable and I have some new trails on my GPSr now, which should help nicely when I'm trying to decide which trail to follow to a new cache.

You might want to consider a contribution to OpenStreetMap.org. Their current trails in the forest don't match what you've got.
MuStash

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruylopez wrote:
You might want to consider a contribution to OpenStreetMap.org.

Thanks for the suggestion ruylopez. I had only vaguely heard of this website before. Having checked it out now, it looks excellent. I opened an account with them and submitted the data. I still have a lot to learn but will enjoy it.
MuStash

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Assiniboine Forest trails have now been entered into OpenStreetMaps.org. So if you are on Geocaching.com and viewing any cache in the Forest south of Grant, you can click on the "Open Street Maps" option under "for online maps" and you will be able to see the cache relative to these trails. You might need to zoom in a bit before the trails appear.
MuStash

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the course of 2012 I visited Pembina Valley Provincial Park a number of times and walked all of the named trails in the park capturing the tracks with my GPS. Those tracks are now all combined into one gpx file which is attached to this post in zipped format and available to download. If you download the file to your computer, open it with the software that came with your GPS and then transfer it to your GPS, the tracks will appear on your GPS if you ever find yourself in that neck of the woods.

Those tracks have also been entered into OpenStreetMaps. So, if you are viewing the caches in the area on Geocaching.com, and you select the option to view the OpenStreetMaps map, the tracks will also appear once you have zoomed in enough.

Have fun with this.

PembinaValleyProvParkTrailsForMBGA.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PembinaValleyProvParkTrailsForMBGA.zip
 Filesize:  148.95 KB
 Downloaded:  73 Time(s)

MissionMode

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy oh boy I could have used that one last year when I went for one of the oldest caches in manitoba. My GPS was totally wrong about both roads and trails in that park.
darethehair

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuStash wrote:
During the course of 2012 I visited Pembina Valley Provincial Park a number of times and walked all of the named trails in the park capturing the tracks with my GPS. Those tracks are now all combined into one gpx file which is attached to this post in zipped format and available to download. If you download the file to your computer, open it with the software that came with your GPS and then transfer it to your GPS, the tracks will appear on your GPS if you ever find yourself in that neck of the woods.

Those tracks have also been entered into OpenStreetMaps. So, if you are viewing the caches in the area on Geocaching.com, and you select the option to view the OpenStreetMaps map, the tracks will also appear once you have zoomed in enough.

Have fun with this.

[sorry for bringing back an old thread...]

One of the main reasons that I just joined this forum was to personally thank you for your hard work in gathering GPS tracks of the PVPP trails and uploading them to OpenStreetMaps! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: