Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for the best place to get a picture with a Bison.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pia2013

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Looking for the best place to get a picture with a Bison. Reply with quote

Good day fellow cachers!

While on Vancouver Island a month ago, I picked up a trackable that's been to Australia and back, and , since it is a Buffalo, I promised the owners that I would get it back to the plains when I moved here.

I would like to get a picture of it near a prominent Bison, but since I'm extremely new to the city, I don't know where to start. Ideas welcome!

Thank you in Advance!

Aaron
Stonagal

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two come quickly to mind, but neither is at the location of a cache.

1. Fort Whyte Alive has a large stuffed bison on display.
2. The Manitoba Legislature has two large stone bison flanking its grand staircase inside. The building has free public access, but you will have to tell security what you're up to.

If the TB's owners want the cache to be near a bison, I'm not sure. If all they want is a picture, Fort Whyte Alive is your best bet. There's a cache near the entrance to the park.
Pia2013

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonagal wrote:
Two come quickly to mind, but neither is at the location of a cache.

1. Fort Whyte Alive has a large stuffed bison on display.
2. The Manitoba Legislature has two large stone bison flanking its grand staircase inside. The building has free public access, but you will have to tell security what you're up to.

If the TB's owners want the cache to be near a bison, I'm not sure. If all they want is a picture, Fort Whyte Alive is your best bet. There's a cache near the entrance to the park.

You, my friend, are the greatest. Thank you!

We were talking about dropping into Fort Whyte Alive this weekend!
ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also live bison at Fort Whyte or the Zoo. Plenty of bison statues around but the locations don't come readily to mind.
GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Manitoba Museum also has stuffed bison in some of their dioramas. That would require paid admission to get in, though.
Pia2013

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! I will keep all of these in mind. Still haven't found a TB Hotel big enough to house the old girl, but once I find one, hopefully she can travel north.

Very sad that she missed the opportunity to hitch a ride with some of those that recently went to Churchill, but I'm sure an opportunity will arise again.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, the mini museum in the Johnston Terminal at the Forks also has a stuffed Bison.
Pia2013

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glacier! It's nice to meet you, I seem to see your name all over the Winnipeg map. May be mistaken, but I believe you might be the chair for the MBGC org?

Either way, I may be requiring your expertise for another venture in the near future. Nothing big, just a little newb advice for a cache idea.

KCCO

Aaron
KeeGee

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A whole bunch of Bison were running around Investors Group Field last night playing university football. They must have a symbol or two around the stadium somewhere.
GadgetGeek

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Where are the bison at Reply with quote

There is a large statue of a bison along River Road just north of the city close to GC47TQA. It's a great statue as it is in tall prairie grass.
TeamAngryHamster

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys.

On a side note, I have no idea, but my account got completely deleted the other day.

Hopefully I didn't do anything that violated the terms of the site.

Has this happened to anybody else??

Thanks,

Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: