Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So long GPS... you were always there for me.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: So long GPS... you were always there for me. Reply with quote

Gone missing in Woodcock Ski & Cycle on St. Mary's. When I went in, it was clipped to my geocaching bag... when I left, I realized it no longer was. I assume it got snagged on something and came unclipped, or someone reached over and unclipped it without me noticing.

I scoured the store... several times over... everywhere I looked in it. And just in case, I doubled back and checked the past few roads I had biked along, as far back as I could remember.

My phone number shows up when you turn it on, AND in the "home" waypoint... but no phone calls, and the store staff haven't had anything turned in. But Winnipeg IS a crime-hole, so when anything goes missing, I have zero expectation of it coming back again Sad.

Well... time to check for replacements. I really like this model, and plan to be getting the same one again. So far, Costco seems the cheapest at $330.

gps.png
 Description:
You served me well, old friend
 Filesize:  431.9 KB
 Viewed:  526 Time(s)

gps.png

SKIL101

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I noticed you mentioned you were thinking about getting the 60cx again. Have you looked at the Oregon 200 at Costco my wife was saying they were 329.00 last week.
I also noticed this ad on Used winnipeg
http://www.usedwinnipeg.com/classified-ad/9319160
Might be able to haggle him down a bit.

Hope the person that "finds" your GPS gets a conscience and you get to avoid all the hassle.
JayPeg

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should file a police report as you have the serial number. If the GPS shows up at a pawn shop they will be able to get it back.
ohmic

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your baking skills?
FoodNinja did a fundraising bake sale to get his new GPSr...
Mmmmm. FoodNinja's cookies!
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suck at baking Razz. And the police never returned my call or email, so I assume they found nothing. Or didn't try, which I wouldn't be surprised about either.

No, I don't think I have any particularly sellable skills that I'm aware of. Technically there's the chainmail, but the sheer amount of work that would be required to raise that much money (making even a bracelet can be very time consuming, depending on the size/weave), never mind having to pay for the use of a table at a craft show of some sort, and the time required to do everything (which in itself would require me to book a day off work for the show in question), I could probably make double what I would there just by getting a second job Razz

I could try to sell them off my webcomic site, but most people that read that are probably early teens or so... not the type who can buy things online, nor would have an inclination to buy chainmail items. I may ponder it, make say... 10 various bracelets/items/whatever, and try selling them online as a test run and see how it goes... but yeah, we'll see.

Bah, if I weren't so paranoid, I'd look into getting a used on on Ebay or something... but I've learned too many times that getting an electronics type product non-new tends to lead to disappointment.

Although, I HAVE determined for certain that I want another GPSMap 60Cx. Using my brother's CSx, there's a lot of aspects about it which annoys me. Not the least of which is the electronic compass, but various other minor nuances that I just prefered the Cx to.

polarbeardiggers

PostPosted: May 23, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: stolen gps Reply with quote

crime is not discrimative on who they harm,I too have lost my trusted gps that I had since starting,my GEKO 301, it too has my address and phone number when you turn it on, As well as my motorola navigation gps mounted on the windscreen,niether of these models do they make anymore-but that piece of technology I so enjoyed caching with will be missed the most,meeting peter for the very first time hunting mhz cache in a local park,from running into the queen and her jokers to many other cachers stumbling along a trail or two,and catching gumpy red handed,in a few places,it was that gps that allowed me to hold on to those memories,therefore it too will be sadly missed,the only grateful thing that happened,the thieves didn't grab my camera bag in the back seat worth over 4 grand of gear. The NIKON gods still like me.
lizardo

PostPosted: May 23, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about the theft PBD. But you're right, It's fortunate you didn't have your camera gear stolen.
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: 60cx Reply with quote

As erytu mentioned on another thread and confirmed in Brandon recently, Walmart has the 60cx on for $228.
polarbeardiggers

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: garmin geko 201 Reply with quote

just recently returned from holidays and came across my very first gps the geko 201 that I lent to my sister,who in turn regifted it back to the polarbeardiggers, once again the PBD's have the power to find more treasures,.
polarbeardiggers

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: polarbeardiggrs Reply with quote

posted my last message a year ago,since then have had some heart problems,had to restrict my cliff climbing if you know what i mean- i have cardiomyopathy, which is a fancy word for a enlarged heart,my hearts ejection fraction is at 30 percent,and as of this last june 28th,2011 I recieved a pacemaker/defibrillator or short for ICD, I have called my PBD#1. currently under recovery and off work for 6 weeks,four of those not aloud to drive, so if you spot me in the woods,don't tell anyone,lol, .
lizardo

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Polar Bear Sighting -not really Reply with quote

Hi PBD. Sorry to hear about your health trouble. I sincerely hope that the ICD makes things better for you.
And I very much look forward to spotting you and your cub on the trail.
Have a great summer.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I've missed bumping into you also. Here's to a speedy recovery.
MuStash

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best to you PBD!
polarbeardiggers

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: polarbeardiggers Reply with quote

Hi all, wow its been awhile since I posted anything here, at the end of june ,will be my two year anniversary of my ICD, so far it hasn't fired, but last year june I was 1.5 seconds away from getting zapped and losing my drivers license for 6 months. During my times of missing the past,I did buy a garmin gc , the one that is designed specifically for geocaching, but to be honest,that thing frustrates the hell out of me.But every summer I try to get out and find a few treasures,mainly just for the exercise.The cub is slowly reaching his last year of school,and will be out of the cave,and I will be experiencing the common empty nest syndrome, Already 50 years old,and yet I still have so many things to experience yet, happy trails everyone,and if you see this old polarbeardigger hunting alone,please don't feed the bear.
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: polarbeardiggers Reply with quote

Hey PBD! Glad to hear the ticker’s still ticking Smile I still think of you whenever I find a cache IAPT Razz Look forward to seeing your name in many more logbooks to come – happy trails Cool

polarbeardiggers wrote:
Hi all, wow its been awhile since I posted anything here, at the end of june ,will be my two year anniversary of my ICD, so far it hasn't fired, but last year june I was 1.5 seconds away from getting zapped and losing my drivers license for 6 months. During my times of missing the past,I did buy a garmin gc , the one that is designed specifically for geocaching, but to be honest,that thing frustrates the hell out of me.But every summer I try to get out and find a few treasures,mainly just for the exercise.The cub is slowly reaching his last year of school,and will be out of the cave,and I will be experiencing the common empty nest syndrome, Already 50 years old,and yet I still have so many things to experience yet, happy trails everyone,and if you see this old polarbeardigger hunting alone,please don't feed the bear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Off-Topic Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: