Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging Etiquette
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk wrote:
ertyu wrote:
I just thought it was time to bump this one up again for more people to read as the quantity of short 1 word or single acronym logs is at least half the logs I read these days.

Crap, my bad. I'll try to pick up my logs a little bit.

lol, yes, shame on you Kabuthunk! You're logs are not sufficiently verbose! You'll have to work on that!

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received my umpteenth acronym log, and they all seem to come from n00b cachers. And I wonder if these field note abilities on the new GPSr's are causing some of the laziness.

As a result, I am going to add the following to each of my hides:

Quote:
Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log.

I'm planning on doing up an HTML code snippet to place on my cache pages. If anyone else would like this code, please let me know.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've updated all my pages. Here's the code snippet in case you'd like to do the same. Keep in mind to use this, your page must have the HTML checkbox enabled. If you are using straight text, then you can just copy and paste the paragraph above.

Code:
<p style="border: 1px solid black; padding: 15px;"><b>Logging Etiquette:</b>  Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches.  As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required.  Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache.  Please keep this in mind when entering your log.</p>

ohmic

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dani,
I'm sure that will prove useful, as long as people read the cache description before logging their finds...
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohmic wrote:
Thanks dani,
I'm sure that will prove useful, as long as people read the cache description before logging their finds...

Very true. <crossing_fingers> Here's hoping! </crossing_fingers>

ThreeTs

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to be unique in all my logs but again, its only etiquette we are asking for! No matter what we say or do, we can't make people have more informative logs no matter what we'd like.

But rest assured, ertyu, any new cache of yours I find will get a very flowery log...if you like TFTC! LOL! Wink

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on my addition of the "Logging Etiquette" paragraph on my cache pages:

I have only received 1 TFTC log since adding the paragraph. Although this may be too soon to see if adding that information is working, I'm finding it alot more satisfying to read the logs posted for my caches.

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got tired of all the "TFTC" logs and spent 30 minutes adding the etiquette box to all my caches.
candaceandwill

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Operation BattleCache II rules....

"NEW RULE FOR 2010/2011!! A submitted Battlecache hit that has a log entry of less than 50 characters will be deemed an invalid hit."

I know its a touchy subject for some, but I'm still not sure what the big deal is on log length...caching is a very different experience for everyone and logs left are just one aspect.

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it two ways.

1) As a hider, it's nice to read a bit of feedback on your cache hide. Especially hides that have had much time and thought put into it.

2) However, I think the bigger impact isn't so much on the hider as the cachers that go looking for the cache. Sometimes you're stuck on a cache and just need a bit of inspiration. So you delve into the recent log entries to see what people have said to see if there are any clues that can help out.

When all you see (and I've encountered this a few times already) is "TFTC" it's frustrating because there's no clue to be had.

As a paperless cacher, a PQ only shows me the most recent 5 logs. So it doesn't take much to fill that recent 5 with variations on "TFTC".

So for me, it's about writing logs that support and enhance the caching experience for the community as a whole. Not all my past logs have been shining examples of this, but as I go forward, I'm trying to be a bit more thoughtful. (Just not Kabathunk thoughtful... very few of us are that thoughtful. LOL)

Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread made me review some of the cache logs I've posted.
Most of the time, I try to leave a few sentences. I generally comment on the cache condition and how well the co-ords are. Usually I don't include any hints or spoilers when I log a find.
For me, part of the joy in finding a cache is logging the cache.

It doesn't really bother me when I see a "TFTC" log, though my caches do get a few of them.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo 2 wrote:
It doesn't really bother me when I see a "TFTC" log, though my caches do get a few of them.

it will bother you when all you see if TFTC, or "this cache has been logged from a phone".

burchil

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy reading the feedback in longer replies. When I log a cache I try to give some note at least about the trip. If I had problems finding the cache, or if there were problems with the cache I note those (usually).

Is there some etiquette about actually writing in the physical log at the cache? I enjoy picking up log books (if they are full) and flipping back through the physical logs. I realize that there is a problem with micro sized containers/logs.

I am guilty of not writing much in the physical log, perhaps I will change.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilotmounders and I have been in contact with a cacher from the States, who has added a suggestion to Groundspeak to have the Logging Etiquetter stated above added to their site. If you think it's a good idea, please vote on it at: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1758021-logging-etiquette?ref=title

If you have problems with voting, you can also reach this page by clicking on the feedback tab located on most GC.com pages (green sideways tab on the left hand side) and searching for logging etiquette.

I hope this can get some recognition from groundspeak.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dani_carriere wrote:
If you think it's a good idea, please vote on it at: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1758021-logging-etiquette?ref=title

Ertyu, I fully agree with the comment you made on the feedback forum about having this placed on the log page. Makes a lot of sense!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: