Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging Etiquette
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
candaceandwill

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this was cute...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=9a786dc7-6b5e-4250-b2fd-2f4481881614

Logs a one word find and encrypts it Smile

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is funny Very Happy
candaceandwill

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your thought on caches that have a level of difficulty to retrieve and I am seeing cachers are logging as found by reaching GZ and only seeing the cache - not actually retrieving it?

ex. Monkey Boy GC1Y1ZA

I can think of numerous difficult caches that could have been logged this way over the years and it kinda seems like cheating.... and whatever happened to Devisor?

ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No log, no find.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their name must be in the log book to claim a find.
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Steve. No signature in the log book means no find. I mean, that's the whole point of difficult to reach caches isn't it?
ruylopez

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree that for difficult to get caches "no log = no find", it's ultimately up to the cache owner to decide what to do with those logs. Personally, I'd make it clear on the cache page the requirements for the cache and delete those that don't actually meet those requirements. I've noticed for caches where signing the log is a requirement in the description you don't get the same types of "finds" (glacier_ice has a cache like this, I think).

I recently came across a similar cache in the States that was near impossible to reach without some specialized equipment or some extreme balance, but was being logged as found by those who saw it from the ground. The cache owner was leaving those logs alone. I left a note rather than a DNF, since I had found it, but not reached it.
ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of such caches should be maintaining them to the standard. It is a stated rule that putting your name in the log book is required to claim the find. And it works both ways, if you manage to get your name in the logbook, even in an unconventional way, it can also be claimed as a find, although often frowned upon.
kissme11

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm still new and shouldn't really talk but I agree and really think CO's should be deleting those types of logs and emailing the person to politely tell them why, especially the newer cachers... well only the new cachers, if you have more than 100 you should know better!
I had a few of those emails when I started out and was actually very appreciative because I had no idea and didn't know any "real" cachers to ask.
Plus it really takes away from that "ha I got you sucka!" moment (for me anyway) when you finally go to log it and there are 50 finds but only a handful on the actual log.

And forgot pen... I'm sorry but unless you have some horrifying tale on how "all" your pens exploded at the same time (it can happen I have a picture as proof) it should be deleted as well.
We all have an extra pen somewhere!

And that's my two cents!
skylar1232003

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never even considered that a "TFTC" was somewhat insulting to the hider! From this point on I will be much more considerate in my logs!
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kissme11 wrote:
And forgot pen... I'm sorry but unless you have some horrifying tale on how "all" your pens exploded at the same time (it can happen I have a picture as proof) it should be deleted as well.
We all have an extra pen somewhere!

I actually had this happen to me. I was visiting my mom at the hospital one day a year or two ago, and had my GPS on my basically to find the way there more than anything else, or if I got lost on the way. So I had some time to kill amidst visiting, so she suggested I go after a geocache. There was indeed a micro nearby, so I went after it.

Turns out I didn't have a pen on me when I found it, but I DID have some 'emergency' signature items in a mini bison tube attached to my keys. I had my work backpack on... which didn't have a pen in it by just bad luck more than anything else.

Long story short, I used the tine of a spork to attempt to scratch my initials into it, and dropped in a micro signature item. If I'm not mistaken, it was ertyu that confirmed my signature item was in there and wrote my name in readable. It would either be that, or attempt to write it in mud or something... but that's not so possible on a micro logbook.

Although I HAVE Seen some log entries that was a name written in mud. When it's just a string of bad luck...

Although the adventure had me first slide a small pencil lead (2mm lead, coated with JB Weld except the tip) into that micro bison tube... and eventually get an 'inkless pen' (more of an non-dulling pencil than anything) on my keys.

Trove Chasers

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Logging etiquette Reply with quote

After reading the Battlecache requirements.

It is "OUR" opinion that ONE of the following criteria should be met to receive a "quality log":

A quality location,
A quality cache, or
A quality cache page description.

In "OUR" opinion why should the time and effort be put in to a quality log when a "CACHE OWNER" does not put the time or effort into a quality cache or location or if the cache page description is blank?

Last edited by Trove Chasers on Nov 16, 2011 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ertyu

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Logging etiquette Reply with quote

Where's the LIKE button.

Trove Chasers wrote:

It is "OUR" opinion that one of the following criteria should be met to receive a "quality log":

A quality location,
A quality cache, or

In "OUR" opinion why should the time and effort be put in to a quality log when a "CACHE OWNER" does not put the time or effort into a quality cache or location or if the cache page description is blank?
MHz

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging etiquette Reply with quote

Yes where is the LIKE button when you need one!

ertyu wrote:
Where's the LIKE button.

Trove Chasers wrote:

It is "OUR" opinion that one of the following criteria should be met to receive a "quality log":

A quality location,
A quality cache, or

IAMSTIG

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: