Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from Ontario

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team Goju

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Ontario Reply with quote

I will be visiting a close friend in Winnipeg during Thanksgiving, and she wants me to introduce her to geocaching. I am looking for any recommendations local cachers have for caches within 20-30 mins of the south-end of the city, or small concentrated cache run (4-6) in a scenic area. Any beautiful or historic locations that would be a must visit and that aren't too challenging of a hike or a find. I am also an avid photographer, so caches that suit this would be great too. As well...could someone give me a good location for a spot to catch the sunset, you know...something romantic..lol
I appreciate any ideas....
Thanks everyone
Steve
(Team Goju)
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Team Goju,

Welcome to Winnipeg!

A visit to the old Trappiste Monastery should fit the bill. World Peace is a must do cache there. Also, Pollock Island is a historic site nearby and it has good signage and a view of the river. Another one in the vicinity is Where Rivers Still Collide in St Norbert Heritage Park.

For short caching runs in scenic areas in the south end, you might visit La Barriere Park. Its 10-15 minutes south of Winnipeg with some nice (longish) trails along the river. One of the 11 caches there is Bridge Blitz. Kings Park just inside the city has some very nice (and shorter) trails along the river. One of the 7 caches there is called HUH? Finally, the university of Manitoba and its agricultural fields have some interesting sights and history. The 1950 Flood cache might be of interest. There’re 17 caches around the campus.

As to sunsets, there’s not too many terrain changes within 20 minutes of the south end of Winnipeg, but the Trappiste Monastery ruins or a river might make a nice back drop Smile

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South end sunset, I agree, Trappiste Monastary.

For caching some nice trails with a good cluster, there's also LaBarrire Park.

Start with Molly's Cache near the parking lot and catch the 11 active caches over a couple of hours as you enjoy the trails nearby. Words in the woods is a puzzle cache you can solve at home and then come to the park to find.

Enjoy!
ohmic

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanksgiving... scenic caches... that spells out Oak Hammock Marsh!
There are 36 caches scattered on the hiking trails of this 36 square kilometer restored wetland. While most are within close proximity of the Interpretive Centre there are some further away, along the 36 kilometers of trails.

Thanksgiving is a fantastic time to be at Oak Hammock Marsh as hundreds of thousands of waterfowl will be migrating through and there are tons of activities taking place over the weekend.

The last count was over 250,000 geese and ducks! Truly a sight to behold!

Here the link to the marsh caches

Last edited by ohmic on Oct 07, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much agreed. If you want to change your criteria to 20 mins North of the city, go to Oak Hammock. Smile
Team Goju

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks..for the replies and suggestions Reply with quote

We ended up taking a walk at the Forks...hope to get out somewhere tomorrow....
Thanks for the suggestions I hope to visit them all one day....

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: