Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mantario Trail.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpieboy

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Mantario Trail. Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a two part request... I have come across a GSAK track for the Mantario Trail in the Whiteshell and would like someone that has actually done this trail to see if it's correct. The second part is this... knowing that there is a multi based from the north trail head... How would I know where the seperate parts are so my planned new cache placement does not end up on top of one. ( Apart from finding them while there) If you can help me with the GSAK let me know and I can email the track to you. If you have a track already maybe you could let me havea copy so I can overlay it on mine...?
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mantario trail is classified as a section that is Natural Park. Meaning it's a leave no trace type of trail. You would have to apply to have a Geocache placed there with Parks Manitoba. Be aware, there is a good chance it will be denied unless your multi is limited to virtual stages of a multi.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/recreation/ssf/geocach/info.html

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/planning/index.html

But to answer your original question. Burchill, MuStash, Blazer45 are names I can think of that have been on that trail.

MuStash

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mantario Trail is totally within Whiteshell Park which is defined as a Natural Park by MB Parks. Geocache approval might be granted depending on the Land Use Category of the specific cache location.

The Mantario Trail passes through 3 different Land Use Categories: Backcountry, Wilderness and Recreational Development. From the north Trailhead to approximately the portage from Big Whiteshell to Ritchey Lake is classified as Backcountry and a geocache could be approved there if all other criteria are met. From that portage southbound to approximately the main line train tracks is classified as Wilderness and geocaches are not permitted. From the train tracks to the south Trailhead is classified as Recreational Development and a geocache could be approved if all other criteria are met.

I have saved all of the waypoints from the Mantario Majestic multi-cache but don't want to spoil things by making reference here to where they are. So if your plans are for outside the Wilderness Land Use Category I would gladly communicate with you via private e-mail about the chance of your cache conflicting with those waypoints. If you sent me some coordinates within about 1/2 a kilometer of your planned location I could compare them and we could go from there.

As to the accuracy of your software file of the trail, I would say the best way to verify it is to compare it to the official Mantario Hiking Trail Map. I would highly recommend having a copy of it anyway because it has great detail including the Trail, camp sites and portages. The map is availabe from Nature Manitoba. I don't know its current price. Here is a link to their website which has a section within it that is dedicated to the Mantario Trail.

http://www.manitobanature.ca/index.html

Good luck with your planning magpieboy. It would be great to have another geocache out there!
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I knew Mustash would be the resource guy for this trail! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Off-Topic Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: