Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a multi cache question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayhawk001

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: a multi cache question Reply with quote

I would like to do a multi cache around my area. I was wondering what is a acceptable amount of stages and is it ok to put one of the stages within 150 metres of another cache is its not going to be registered on here. (would be sGE 3 OR 4). any info would be appreciated. thanks
lizardo

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it is that physical caches cannot be within 161m from each other. However, stages within the same multicache are often not container based. You will often have a plaque to be read at a site, or some such activity. In this case, I believe the caches can be closer together. (or right on top of one another... Twisted Evil The guidelines say that individual stages within any one multi/puzzle cache do not have a minimum distance requirement.
Your best option is to talk to the reviewer. onecrazycanadian can be contacted through his Geocaching.com profile.

I have a couple of thoughts on multicaches-
-more stages=more maintenance. The more containers/markers you place, the more likely one will be compromised/lost.

-more stages=less finders. I am not one to shy away from multi or puzzle caches. But many people are. And the more stages you list, the less traffic you will receive.

-IMHO, the stages should be within the same general area. Say 2KM (Says the cacher who maintains the Winnipeg leg of a Canada-wide multi cache Laughing )

jayhawk001

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i would just like to highlight the parks i grew up in and don't necessarily want to make one separate for each one. thanks will contact him and see what happens. thanks
ertyu

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is often merit in going the separate route. A couple traditional caches tends to work out better than one multi.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:
There is often merit in going the separate route. A couple traditional caches tends to work out better than one multi.

A lot of finders also appreciate multiple smileys instead of one smiley for their efforts.

jayhawk001

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright singles they will be. thanks for the input
junglehair

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the guidelines:

Single caches will need to be a minimum of 161 meters apart.

Physical stages (with a container) within a multi do not need to be that distance apart from each other, as long as they are at least 161 meters from any other cache (including physical stages of another multi-cache).

Virtual stages of a multi-cache (eg. getting numbers from a plaque and using them to determine the coordinates for the next stage) do not need to meet the minimum distance guideline - just be sure to mark the Additional Waypoints as type "question to answer" rather than "stages of a multi-cache".

I typically prefer single caches to a multi-cache, but there are some really great multi-caches out there too. My favourite multi-caches have a theme running through the various stages. For example, I found a wizard of oz related multi-cache once where the stages were related to the lion, the tin man, and the scare crow. If you're just trying to highlight various parts of the park, you're likely better off with single caches. Your caches will have more visitors that way too.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agrees with Dani. Two of my multis are themed but still don't get many visits. Even the easier one (Kinder Cache) doesn't see many hits.

My other multis are meant to be challenging, so I don't expect many visits. I'm okay with that since I am not highlighting the location, but making the multi an adventure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: