Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mantario Majestic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruylopez

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Mantario Majestic Reply with quote

On the weekend of September 24th and 25th jbduffman and I will be hiking the Mantario trail in an attempt to find the Mantario Majestic cache (GCQEDH).

We will be starting off at the North trailhead early Saturday morning, plan to camp one night along the trail, and arrive at the South trailhead Sunday evening.

Anyone is welcome to join us. You will need your own overnight hiking gear and need to be in shape enough to cover approximately 30km of trail in one day. (The entire trail is about 64km long.) You will also have to be prepared for a cold camping night along the trail, but there shouldn't be any bugs and the trail should be fairly dry at this time of year.

If you are interested in joining us, feel free to post a reply.
junglehair

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the one to suggest this, but perhaps you should consider contacting Stuntman to see if he wants you to pull this cache while you are out there. By the looks of the last log, it needs a bit of maintenance.

I'm not up-to-date on the MB Parks policy, but last I heard the Mantario Trail was considered a wilderness area and therefore off limits to caches.
ruylopez

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: The last Mantario Majestic Reply with quote

I'm going to be picking up the cache containers along the way as The-Stuntman will be archiving this cache after the weekend. This will be the last time for this cache if anyone has been interested in doing this one.
MuStash

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to you ruylopez for doing this. All the best on your expedition. It is a formidable challenge you are taking on. It will be an unforgetable experience.

Kudos to The-Stuntman for placing this, my all time favourite wilderness cache.

The Mantario Trail passes through 3 different "Land Use Areas". 2 of them are areas that are compatible with Manitoba Parks' geocaching regulations. Just sayin'...
hanker

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might actually be interested.

I was wanting to do this trail sometime this summer/fall and havent got around to it.

Im just curious what you plan on bringing in terms of food? Canned? Dried?

Do you have a map of the trail? I hear it can be hard to follow in certain areas.
ruylopez

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically bring pasta/oatmeal on overnight trips, the types of foods that don't weigh very much and only need water. Lots of canned goods should usually be avoided since they are heavier and require you to carry out the can.

I have a map of the trail and I've also downloaded someone's route that they posted online that can be loaded onto my GPSr. I don't know how accurate it will be. I've also done the trail once before (back before I knew about caching and I walked by all those boxes). The trail is very rough and can be very tough to follow and typically not all that well maintained - but it is the Manitoba wilderness so I wouldn't expect anything else. At this time of year though it should be relatively dry.
ohmic

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you leaving?
ruylopez

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be leaving for the Whiteshell at Noon on Friday to do some caching in the afternoon and evening. I'll be meeting jbduffman at the South trail head between 6:30pm to 7:00pm to drop off a car and then we'll be camping at the North end trail head Friday night and will be leaving bright and early Saturday morning, probably between 6:00am and 6:30am.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: