Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deleting an EarthCache log

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruylopez

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Deleting an EarthCache log Reply with quote

I'm new to being an EarthCache owner and want to discuss if it's okay to delete an EarthCache log that someone has submitted.

The log in particular was submitted without any email being sent through my profile. Assuming they might be busy I gave them 48 hours and then sent the cacher an email informing them of additional EarthCache logging requirements and gave them an additional 24 hours to submit any answers before I would delete their log.

I've still received no response to my email or any answers to the additional logging requirements. Am I off base here? Am I right to delete their log? Should I give even more time? (The EarthCache in particular is not in Manitoba and so it is not any Manitoba cachers that are involved here.) Any feedback from other EarthCache owners would be appreciated.
ertyu

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give them more than a couple days, but if they don't send the info required or respond to a request for it, the log gets deleted.
Torossi

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the same issue with my Earthcache in Manitoba. It was logged by two cachers who appear to be newer. I sent them a polite email about what an Earthcache is and asked them to email me the information that was required. I had no response after one week, so I emailed them again to inform the cachers I would be deleting the logs. I feel it is reasonable to do this as the spirit of an Earthcache is to learn and to communicate with the CO. I think it is good to be polite in your emails and use it to educate the cacher about Earthcaches.
ertyu

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't really understand how people log these as found if they don't understand them. They obviously didn't find a container, so what are they logging.
Xplorer and Ramblin Rose

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Earthcaches Reply with quote

We have only ONE earthcache and of course, have some of the same problems. We wait a couple of days since we realize sometimes people are travelling, etc. We have sent polite emails to the newbies who might not know what EC is really about and I have received emails back telling me that they will go back to get the answers sometime. Still waiting the response from one cacher...
Guess not everyone knows that one is to get permission to log them once the answers are given correctly?!? Although one wonders if they haven't actually read the cache description at all?
IAMSTIG

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 4 or 5 DNF's posted at some mine Smile

Last edited by IAMSTIG on Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
junglehair

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Earthcaches Reply with quote

Xplorer and Ramblin Rose wrote:
Guess not everyone knows that one is to get permission to log them once the answers are given correctly?!? Although one wonders if they haven't actually read the cache description at all?

Actually, that's not true. Once they have submitted the information, they are free to log their find. They are not required to wait for confirmation from the cache owner.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't be too hasty to delete the log, but if there is no response after a week or so, you'd be within your rights as the cache owner to delete their log. It would be a good idea to also send them a note at that time explaining why their log was deleted.
Xplorer and Ramblin Rose

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Earthcaches Reply with quote

Thanks, Junglehair, for explaining that we can in fact log it as found before getting a reply from the cache owner. We have usually just written a note while on a trip, saying that we will log it as found once we get the 'ok'.

We do give cachers lots of time to send the answers and I ALWAYS write them a note, explaining the rules of an earthcache before we delete any log entries.
ohmic

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, that's not true. Once they have submitted the information, they are free to log their find. They are not required to wait for confirmation from the cache owner.

That's interesting information as I had my log deleted by a Earth cache owner in Quebec once who was upset that I had logged my find before he sent me permission to log it.

I had sent him the asnwers and waited for a week. I even noticed he had been online since I had sent the info (and posted a picture to show that indeed I had been at the cache site) but still no answers after a week.

I posted my log and got a deletion notice along with a note from the owner who told me he had not given me permission to log.

I told him that I had waited for his permission for a week but his response was that he was away and couldn't answer to his email and I should know better than to log without permission...

I didn't pursue the discussion any further as anyone can play the game in anyway they want I guess.

But that's good information to know junglehair!
junglehair

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a log deleted for a reason such as that, you can contact Groundspeak, or an EarthCache Reviewer if you happen to know one Wink, and have your log re-instated and locked. Of course, they would consult the CO too to get their side of the story first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: