Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reporting a user?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reporting a user? Reply with quote

I recently had a user (King GeoNator) add a log to my cache Barking Up the Right Tree, that consisted of a few random letters and a picture of male genitalia.
I checked out some of this user's other 27 finds, and while none of the others are obscene, they are all (that I checked) random gibberish.
I deleted the log on my own cache, but I'm wondering if there's some way to report the user to geocaching.com. I couldn't find anything on the website to report a user.
Any suggestions?
ertyu

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I could find no specific mechanism to report abuse, but you should be able to use the general contact form:
http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request
Stonagal

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His (the name includes "King", so I'm using the male pronoun) log for Lego Island (GC1XDHX) could be reported as well. Plus I would expect something more interesting from a cacher who would have had to walk, swim, or kayak to, and then climb, an island in the river. I'll be checking up on my cache he logged as found. (Update, same day: name does not appear on the log; smiley deleted.)

In this thread from two years ago, a moderator directs you to e-mail contact@groundspeak.com with a detailed description of what happened, in lieu of a dedicated "report abuse" option.
Trove Chasers

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reporting Abuse Reply with quote

Check out the logs for "17081708" They are either the same person or they both have the same sick mindset.
Stonagal

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Most of that user's logs are good, but the one for GC3G6G9 should be taken down. Some people...
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was logged by 17081708 on http://coord.info/GC3CVYD

"Lol my mom got spider webs
On her sunglasses by
The way I am 7 years old"

The log on http://coord.info/GC3G6G9 by the same user makes me wonder... 7?

So who is the parent Geocacher then?

Some of the logs from King GeoNator are quite juvenile in their content. Another minor?

GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I've emailed contact@geocaching.com. (Apparently the better way to contact them is via geocaching.com/help, as I was informed in the automated reply to the email).

I mentioned both King GeoNator and 17081708 in the email.

Apparently they will get back to me within 5 business days.
GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone's interested, here's the reply I got from GroundSpeak:

Quote:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We have deleted the logs containing inappropriate language and have sent the users Terms of Use warnings.

"Nonsensical" logs should not necessarily be deleted - for it is just a poor form of geocaching etiquette, not a Terms of Use violation. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon to see from new, younger geocachers. They usually catch on to what is more appropriate with more exposure to the game.

If you happen to see other issues like this that are not family-friendly, from the same users or others, feel free to contact us.

Best,

Heather
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. These are the types of cases where it's better that the corrective action comes right from Groundspeak and not local members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: