Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging Etiquette
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ertyu

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Logging Etiquette Reply with quote

I thought I would drop a note about online logging etiquette. Seeing as I've hidden a couple caches and watch quite a few cache listings, I get many emails of logs on a regular basis and I've noticed a decline in the quality of online logs.

As a hider the log from finders is your reward for hiding the cache. You want to know that people are having fun and enjoying finding your cache. Or sometimes a report that they didn't have a good experience and/or something is wrong with the cache that you might want to change or fix.

Writing a more detailed log is good for other cachers so they have a better idea of what to expect and also for yourself so you can remember the experience you had at the cache. I know with the increased volume of cache finds and hides it can be difficult to come up with interesting and unique logs, but it is something all cachers should strive for I think.

I just logged 350 finds in a very short span and I made sure to write a unique log for every one and tried to include some story, description or interesting note to each one. I made sure not to use a single acronym or copy and paste the same blurb to every log.
junglehair

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to you for being able to write a unique log after finding that many caches in such a short time. My memory isn't good enough to allow that luxury. The caches that stand out in my memory definitely get a personalized note when I am logging my find though. I have been guilty of the cut and paste logs, but only on a very rare occasion. If I would have had 350 caches to log, that likely would have been one of the occasions.

Not sure if it really has the same connotation today, but several years ago if your log simple said "TFTC" it was really a code for "this cache really sucked, but my mother always taught me that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" I still get caught off guard some times when someone logs one of my caches with just "TFTC". I immediately think they didn't like the cache.
crabbything

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loved all the caches I have found. But sometimes there isn't much to say but Thanks.
It's not that I didn't enjoy it and am just trying to be nice.

I do try to say something more at caches that are memorable to me. but when I am out of town for a few days it's hard to remember each one individually unless it stands out in my mind.

I'll try harder in the future though. Smile
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo JH's remarks. Except that I must have started after the TFTC code meant a crappy cache. LOL

I'm all over the map depending on the experience. Sometimes my logs are short and sweet, other times I'm much more verbose.

Of course, no one comes close to Kabuthunk length stories. Smile
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ertyu – I think the hider deserves some positive feedback from the finder, and I also want to have a record down the line to trigger some kind of a memory of my finding of the cache. A “my finds” pocket query often produces some interesting reading. Also, I’ve had cachers email me years after a find asking for some kind of info about a cache and after rereading my log it often triggers a better memory.
Wagonmaker

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with ertyu and OBG. I think it's a nice treat for a hider to get a notice that someone found their cache, and you always want feedback on how it went for that person. It's not like it requires a story, but at least a short sentence that gives a little more context to your search and find. On my recent trip to Grand Forks / Fargo, we found close to 100 caches and I wrote a little blurb for each one.

I do agree that some caches simply don't warrant much discussion. Forgive me, but unless something truly bizarre happens to me at an ICU cache, ones like that typically get only a few words.
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Logs in Australia Reply with quote

One of the interesting things we noted with people logging caches in Australia is that they go the extra bit to thank the hider by name. It's a nice personalized touch that acknowledges the effort to place a cache. We haven't adopted it yet because I often forget to look for the hiders name before I begin the log, but on reflection it might be a good habit to get into.
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: declining Reply with quote

Oh I the queen admit to much worse logging. Partly it is the joy of my blackberry! I can log onsite now and then at Least get the order right. I love all caches if I find them. Particularly I like logging immediately in a short manner if they all are named the same in a series. I wish folks would put that @ the end.
Another excuse is that we do 20 or so @ a time. And computer time @ hotel comps is short. Arlin is finding Germany expensive buying time: 10 dollars an hour! We will try to do better. I try to choose 1 good word to log short like: dandy or fantastic.
ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought it was time to bump this one up again for more people to read as the quantity of short 1 word or single acronym logs is at least half the logs I read these days.
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Well the short gets shorter Reply with quote

Smile

is the new message I received and I got 6 emails with that one. WOW. I'd like to block those especially on my blackberry. I improved slightly on my trip and tried to write a better description again. Maybe I like that better than the lengthy critical ones I've gotten recently saying I lack imagination and forethought as to placement. Ouch. I have yet to find out if that sender has hidden any.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Lack of imagination... I guess those finders haven't found Huh? , Cacheaholic Anonymous or Raiders. To name a couple of your more memorable ones. Smile
burchil

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Glacier_ice - some great caches and at least one that I have yet to find.
ohmic

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen, I'm shocked at those comments as you have some of the best caches in the province... Shocked
pinch3

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: remembering caches when you log them Reply with quote

Nobody mentioned this so I'm throwing it in: if you need help with remembering caches, bring a camera along and take a picture at each cache to jog your memory. I try to snap a picture of whatever it was that stood out for me. Since I'm not going to post the picture, it can be the cache itself, but more often it's the scenic view, something interesting near the cache, or something that reminds me of the search.
I think every "real" hide deserves a real log. (ICU's are not real hides.)
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:
I just thought it was time to bump this one up again for more people to read as the quantity of short 1 word or single acronym logs is at least half the logs I read these days.

Crap, my bad. I'll try to pick up my logs a little bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: