Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Logging Trackables

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Not Logging Trackables Reply with quote

I really hate it when I find a TB or Geocoin in a cache and then I get home and it says it was in a different cache or something. That happened the other day when we found crackerjackie's new cache, Old Soldiers Never Die. We saw a TB and a Geocoin and when we got home it said they were not even in that cache. Tell me what you think about this.
ertyu

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to allow some time for people to log the movement. Beyond that, yes, there are times where TBs are not logged properly at all.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up “Hippie Racing Bus #2” TB today that was last logged into a British Columbia cache on March 11, 2011, over a year ago.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that sometimes happens is Cachers will pick up a trackable while on a trip and shove it in their kit intending to log it as picked up. Later, they arrive at another cache, drop a trackable and leave. Turns out the trackable was the one they hadn't logged as picked up and they didn't record the number.

I know, because I've done it! LOL

Or the other one, where a small trackable tucks itself into a fold at the bottom of your backback and you think you've lost it. Only to find it months later when you're cleaning out the bag.

Done that one too!

But yes, as Ertyu says, sometimes people need time to log their trackable. I've had trackables grabbed from me before I've had a chance to actually drop them at the event I was at simply because the other cachers got home to their computers before I did.

Nunavut Taidy

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible reason why a TB is not where it is supposed to be is one that has happened to my lonely little bug. Sad

The finder of it (when I contacted him) did indeed move the bug on to another cache, but before he got around to logging his caches (a bunch of them, apparently), his list of finds went missing. I don't know if he was using a paperless method or a papered hunt. Now, sadly, he has no means of saying which cache it is in (or which caches he has found).

Oh well. Perhaps it will turn up, but hopefully whoever finds it won't be too upset that it is where it shouldn't be. Very Happy
Nunavut Taidy

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nunavut Taidy wrote:
...Perhaps it will turn up, but hopefully whoever finds it won't be too upset that it is where it shouldn't be. Very Happy

Wonders never cease! Shocked My little ole TB turned up at a Portage La Prairie cache the other week a fter being "lost" from its first cache. Now its spending time up in Alaska. Sent a note of thanks to the finder/mover, and a second note to the original finder in the hopes that knowing where it was found might help him rebuild his logs. Happy Trails! Laughing
klblue

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a trackable in the Grand Beach area on the weekend. I couldn't believe it, but there hasn't been any logs on it for over 4 years. Hopefully now it will be logged regularly.
burchil

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens - I have a MIA trackable. It has gone underground once before and surfaced elsewhere. The only thing that I hope is it shows up sometime/somewhere and starts its mission again. On the other side I do try to log trackables as soon as possible and them move them along, or just note the sighting. I fully admit that I am not good at logging a sighting since I tend to forget (on the good side I didn't move the item).
burchil

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had several requests in the past from owners to confirm that their trackable item was actually in one of my caches, or if I saw it in a recent cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Trackables Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: