Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Team KeeGee Roadtrip 2012

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeeGee

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Team KeeGee Roadtrip 2012 Reply with quote

We're hitting the road in about a week to get my first caches in Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey, plus add to my totals for Connecticut, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. The rest of the family thinks it's all about the theme parks, beaches, and shopping, but I know the real reason for the trip.

Anyway, there's an awful lot of caches along a 6,000 km route. Does anyone know of any particular standouts that might be worth a brief detour? I'm particularly interested in caches east of Chicago since I doubt I'll pass that way again.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just finished a somewhat similar tour, here are a few. As you'll see, these are recommendations from caches placed in 200 and 2001.

This is because I'm working on the Jasmer challenge, where you need to find caches placed for every month since the beginning of Geocaching back in May of 2000. Most of the old ones have turned out to be in very nice spots and have been quite rewarding. I think I filled up 2002 almost solely with Virtuals as there are so many in that year. Smile

I'd recommend for West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut and New York that you do some pocket queries and try to find ones that are from the early years. Take advantage of the travel while you can and see how much of your Jasmer calendar you can fill. Smile

GC28 Beverly (Placed in 2000, one of the oldest active caches and a very nice hike.)
GC93 Indiana's First (Placed in 2000, easy walk maybe 30m from the treeline)
GC2DBE Ancient Lake (January 2001 and a very pretty area)
GC34E Power Lady (February 2001 very pretty spot along the shore of Lake Erie)
GC515 Wild Goose Chase (March 2001 A good 3km round trip hike.)
GC9F0 Green in Green (May 2001 Heckuva hike, very pretty ending.)
GCE67 Officers Scenic Cache (July 2001 Good hike from a rest stop. Really neat spot too.)
GC1635 Mr. Little Guy's House (August 2001 - This one's in Minneapolis but very worth the stop. You'll see when you get there.)

Have fun!

KeeGee

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks glacier_ice, those are good thoughts. I'm trying to look them up while I'm on the road, but I've run into other problems.

The netbook I've brought along doesn't recognize my garmin legend is plugged in. It's a serial connection that I normally use at home on my desktop through a USB adapter. But GSAK can't even find any COM ports. Any ideas anyone?

Luckily I can still transfer caches to my Nuvi using a GSAK macro. But I'll have to manually enter coords on the Legend unless I can figure out to fix it.

KeeGee (in Indiana)
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little USB/Serial adapters can be tricky. I have one that I haven't managed to get to work at all. Not much help from me, I'm afraid.

Good luck out there!

KeeGee

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished my logs from the trip. A total of 92 finds - didn't seem like much to me, but the family thought it was too too much. For instance, I don't think I'll ever hear the end of the little 53 minute detour I took to get my Delaware cache. And the thing is, the detour would've been longer if, a couple days earlier, the Nuvi hadn't inexplicably taken us through Maryland on our way from western to eastern Pennsylvania. Kinda funny - we missed the signs and eventually clued in that we were in a different state. Quick! Find a McDonald's, get some free wifi and load a cache or two!

Excellent suggestion, glacier_ice! I kept my eye out for the older ones wherever I went. Ended up getting 10 from 2005 or before and filling in 5 Jasmer slots. Not only did I get the oldest ones in Indiana and Ohio that you pointed out, I also grabbed the oldest one in Connecticut. Thanks for the suggestions.

The one thing I really missed was my bike. Seemed like everywhere we stopped, I'd look at the map and see a power trail along a bike route. There's a lot of old rail lines converted to bike trails. But to bring the bike along, we wouldn't've been able to buy that $1000 hitch-mounted cargo box and fill it with shopping and souvenirs. Hmmmmm...

Given the limited opportunities for caching I think I did pretty good. And I kept the streak going, too. And it whet my appetite for a pure geocaching roadtrip with the bike and rooftop cargo box full of gear - oooo, is that the Zombie Streaker in me coming out?
KeeGee

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, one more note, then I'll stop talking about what I did last summer! Laughing

One of the best caches I came across was GC31TE8 The Wardrobe. It's in Wheaton, Illinois, a western suburb of Chicago. It's in a college research centre that focuses on seven British authors, including Tolkien and Lewis. It's main purpose is its collection of materials related to the authors. They also have a few artifacts on display. The best one is the desk where Tolkien wrote and illustrated The Hobbit and parts of his other works. My son and I soaked up all the writer vibes we could and wondered at how such a great work could come from such a little desk. I posted a picture with my log. Then we went on to explore the wardrobe owned by C.S. Lewis, the one he was probably thinking of when writing his Chronicles of Narnia series (a wardrobe plays an important part in those books). A fine example of a cache taking me to a special place I wouldn't've known about otherwise.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=384bccc8-8951-4710-9811-be6da1174b56
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gahhh! My next trip, I was hoping to avoid Chicago altogether. Only to find something really cool to visit! Hmmm, perhaps an excuse can be made to not only stop there, but to go to the massive Lego place somewhere on that side of Chicago too.

Thanks for pointing that one out! Smile

KeeGee

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Legoland near the big Woodfield mall in Schaumburg. It's more than a store. We spent several hours there last year. Visited twice I believe. This time we left mom and daughter at that mall while son and I went down to Wheaton, about 30 minutes south. Definitely doable in one day. The name of the place is the Wade Center at Wheaton College.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: