Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Youtube

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hakliva

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Youtube Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

On Youtube there is a group of individuals that make videos of their geocaching experiences.

I first discovered these videos a year or two ago while looking for ideas on some different types and styles geocaches. I discovered a guy in the UK with the channel geocachespoilers, and loved watching every video he made. He has since passed away, but his memory lives on in the awesome geocaches that he put out, and the videos that he made.

I fell in love instantly watching these videos, because they took you geocaching without going geocaching... so in minus 40 weather you could still be engaged in geocaching, without getting frostbite!

Early this year I started uploading weekly some videos of my own caching experiences and of my hides as well. I do this pretty anonymously. I do not give out specific locations, areas, coordinates, GC codes, and up until recently they only knew that I was in Canada. Someone recently asked where one of my videos was taken... it was of me kayaking at my cabin in Steep Rock showing the cliffs and the beautiful calm of the lake. I finally gave them a little more into my whereabouts and now, if they have seen that comment, know that I am somewhere around Lake Manitoba.

I apologize if I have offended anyone by videoing their hides without their permission and posted them to the internet.

I have been accepted into the community and have 22 subscribers from all over the world and over 500 video views!

If anyone for any reason has an issue with having their caches videoed anonymously and on the internet, please let me know, and I will try my best to remember and exclude the actual caches that I find of yours from my video.

Thanks for your understanding.

If you wish to check them out, you can find them on youtube.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Hakliva on Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ertyu

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never a fan of information being leaked about my caches and I try not to do that for other caches. As innocuous and anonymous as it may seem, a few of these little tidbits soon combine to allow someone easy access to a difficult cache or ruin the enjoyment of finding a unique location or container.
Hakliva

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:
I'm never a fan of information being leaked about my caches and I try not to do that for other caches. As innocuous and anonymous as it may seem, a few of these little tidbits soon combine to allow someone easy access to a difficult cache or ruin the enjoyment of finding a unique location or container.

I understand, in the future i will keep this in mind with your caches, and anyone else who expresses the same feeling.
Lynda. L.

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with ertyu on that one ,for a few years now I was tempted to do it also . My worst worry was the slightest angle could kill a cache (and the hunt ) for others . I have some one of a kinds and of the 2 not photoed yet I hope it stays that way .The term of *other *for the size is there for a reason ,to surprise and annoy Twisted Evil the hunt.

However I am a fan of the videos from places I know I would never go to . I do take stills and the odd video for my own use like to show people I know to try to get them in the game .
I am not offended ,I just know people put alot of time and work into the caches they hide ,not to mention the expense . good luck and happy hunting .
ruylopez

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's all the same, I would rather my caches not be included in any YouTube videos. I have put time and effort into creating my caches and they are meant to be experienced in the field and not by an armchair cacher. I think most people who upload pics and videos do so of their own caches and not of others.
Trove Chasers

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We feel the same way. We would rather not see any pictures or video of our caches posted.
ertyu

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a general opinion of the masses. I recall really huge forum threads where entire regions were angry at one or two individuals who posted videos of their hunts.

In my opinion the hider puts out the cache for the enjoyment of the finder and their own interests of such. When the cache gets used in ways other to what was intended, it is a disincentive to hide caches in the first place.
Hakliva

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so having given it a week, I find it quite interesting the response from everyone.

I would like to let you first know that the majority of my viewers are not locals, as I do not advertise my channel. As someone else said to me... “The chances of a local cacher who wants to find a cache, searches the internet and miraculously finds your video and magically knows exactly where you are and what cache you are doing and exactly knows where to find it. That’s just crazy...” It is not the easiest to just Google caches and come up with anything but the cache page, unless it is designed that way... besides the largest of my viewing base is from the USA, followed then by Canada, Sweden, and a few other speckling around the world.

ertyu wrote:
I think this is a general opinion of the masses. I recall really huge forum threads where entire regions were angry at one or two individuals who posted videos of their hunts.

You are right; there was a really large thread where many people were angered about caches being vlogged. However if you were to look around in that, there were almost as many individuals quite pleased and honored by the vlogs. There were quite a few people who unknowingly had their caches put up on Youtube, and when they found out, they were deeply honored that someone thought highly enough of their hide or hides to upload a video about it/them. Of course there is always the opposite reaction as well, which is what I seem to be finding here so far. Whenever something is new, there is always heat created in the process. Nothing ever makes everyone happy, and most people jump to the negative, rather than looking at the big picture, and I do understand this.
Lynda. L. wrote:
I am with ertyu on that one ,for a few years now I was tempted to do it also . My worst worry was the slightest angle could kill a cache (and the hunt ) for others . I have some one of a kinds and of the 2 not photoed yet I hope it stays that way .The term of *other *for the size is there for a reason ,to surprise and annoy Twisted Evil the hunt. ..

Why would locals be looking at local videos, unless they wish to spoil the hunt for themselves, or hype themselves up to go experience the hide themselves?

Lynda. L. wrote:
However I am a fan of the videos from places I know I would never go to. I do take stills and the odd video for my own use like to show people I know to try to get them in the game .

The videos from those places don’t exist without people putting the videos out there.
Lynda. L. wrote:
I am not offended ,I just know people put alot of time and work into the caches they hide ,not to mention the expense . good luck and happy hunting

Exactly, and I feel to showcase that would be an honor, to them and their work, which is part of why I make the videos, and from now on will ask permission from those individuals before posting for the public to view. Thanks for little bit of positive in all of this.
ruylopez wrote:
I have put time and effort into creating my caches and they are meant to be experienced in the field and not by an armchair cacher. I think most people who upload pics and videos do so of their own caches and not of others.

Most people who upload pictures and videos do so of other people’s caches to share their experience... those of us who make an actual channel of only this, do so of both their caches, AND other’s. I know that you put a lot of time and effort into creating your caches, I have experienced some, whether they are marked as finds, did not finds... or will have to revisit when I have time and tools, there are few, if any that I have not enjoyed. I would love to share these with others throughout the world, but will only be doing so with your permission in the future.

The reason why I started creating videos of my adventures is because I think that the people in my area have some ingenious hides. Weather they are simple in nature, but creative in design, or the other way around, we have some awesome cache owners here with some amazing imaginations for designs. I think that geocaching is expanding with the help of Youtube. People are seeing the awesome places that geocaching takes you, the family friendly adventures involved, and the cool containers to be found. Geocaching can be taken much further than a plain old film canister under a lamp post skirt or a Tupperware in the woods. The possibilities are endless, but not everyone’s imagination is up to par. It takes someone else to spark that idea. With the help of these videos, people are getting new ideas from all over the world, and placing better caches for people to find.

I will continue to create videos focusing on the antics of my adventures, and how the everyday hides trip me up the most (film canister in a tree, bison tube staring at me in the face on a side of the tree...) When it comes to the awesome caches, or even slightly creative or out of the ordinary, pretty much anything out of the plain old usual, I will still make the video, but will be asking permission before I post it for public viewing... whether this means showing it to the CO first, making changes, or not making it public at all, that is up to the CO.

There are hundreds of people out there making and posting videos of awesome geocaches behind cache owner’s backs.
I no longer wish to do this, the whole reason why I brought this to light, is to make everyone aware that in the future permission emails will be in inboxes. I feel that cache owners should know that their caches are reaching the world in a whole new way. You never know someone might plan a trip to Canada or Manitoba knowing that we have some above average, and awesome hiders here!
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Videos Reply with quote

I checked out a few of your videos and I don't see any harm in them. If it gets a few people thinking about the quality of their hides and inspiring some others to do more creative things then it has contriibuted to making the activity better for all. Keep up the good work.
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruylopez wrote:
If it's all the same, I would rather my caches not be included in any YouTube videos. I have put time and effort into creating my caches and they are meant to be experienced in the field and not by an armchair cacher. I think most people who upload pics and videos do so of their own caches and not of others.

I agree with this. I too put work into my hides to make them not just hides but quality hides. Right now I hope that nobody takes pictures or videos of my caches.

Dragonfreys wrote:

I checked out a few of your videos and I don't see any harm in them. If it gets a few people thinking about the quality of their hides and inspiring some others to do more creative things then it has contriibuted to making the activity better for all. Keep up the good work.

Yes, your videos are good and Yes, it's good that your asking permission to put other cachers hides in your videos.

I believe that it would be better to just put in the plain old hides not the creative ones. I know there is many creative hides in Manitoba where if you video it or picture it it'll ruin the whole hunt and then you won't experience it in the field.
Pictures and videos can sometimes ruin the whole hunt.
KeeGee

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videos seem pretty harmless to me. As far as giving away the secrets of a cache - is there much difference between asking the CO for hints, or phoning a friend who's already found it, or mining the logs for clues, or caching in groups, or even following a geotrail? All of that can make the find easier and perhaps lessen the intended experience as much as a video.

Uploading a video doesn't mean the hide is ruined. For those who don't want to enjoy the satisfying find after a difficult hunt, a scant few might go look up a video for help. Vast majority won't even know about the video's existence and carry on caching.

Those who want spoilers, will get spoilers - one way or another. Those who don't, won't.

For those who've already found the cache, a video seems like a good way to relive the experience of a memorable find through another cacher's eyes. As a cache owner, it'd be kinda neat to watch someone search instead of just imagining it.

But, to each his own. Sounds like it's best to check with the CO before uploading.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my two cents after reading everyone's input.

A cache hide is owned by the Cache owner. Perhaps before posting a video to Youtube, you should first get the permission of the cache owner as a common courtesy. Just as when you want to hide a cache on private property, you need the permission of the property owner/manager.

You should not assume blanket permission.

One email to Youtube by a disgruntled cache owner could suspend your account with them. Ask permission first, then everyone is happy.

Erocks

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with KeeGee... if someone wants spoilers they will find them. If they don't then they just won't bother watching the videos.

I also agree with Dani... Just email the cache owner for permission before you post the video.
Hakliva

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been at this for a little while now. I am surprised at the response that i have gotten from youtube. I have just short of 75 regular subscribers and over 2000 views, i never thought that to be possible. Looking at the analytics page i am surprised at the viewers too... people from literally everywhere are watching....
1. United States
2. Canada
3. United Kingdom
4. Sweden
5. Australia
6. Germany
7. Netherlands
8. Denmark
9. Portugal
10. Norway
11. Belgium
12. France
13. Finland
14. Luxembourg
15. Czech Republic
...and the list goes on and on

I have found a few caches while out and about that were creative and cool and done the video, I emailed the cache owners, but never gotten anything in return, so deleted them from my computer... (Only one person has out and out given me permission to video their cache.
So thank you to them, you know who you are! Smile ) So for the most part i stick to plain jane caches, i dont purposfully seek out awesome caches... i'm sure youtube would be better engaged if i did, but because of the mostly negative response here, i am not currently doing that. People seem to enjoy my adventure anyways, part of the reason being that i am one of a only a handfull of females doing this and i tend to keep it more family friendly.

I have not been able to get out and find too many caches lately Sad ,hopefully life will settle down and i will be able to get back out more often, and make more videos, and maybe even get permission for some of the creative and awesome ones... you never know...lol

I guess i should offer that if you have a creative cache that you would like shared beyond our region, message me and let me know, and i will see what i can do about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Off-Topic Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: