Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The cache that wasn't a cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GadgetGeek

PostPosted: May 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: The cache that wasn't a cache Reply with quote

So I went out to find the cache titled An Early Church of St. Clements - Near Lockport http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1R9H4 and turned on my GPS when I got there. I stood around waiting for a bit for it to sync and because it was taking a long time I thought I'd wander around for a bit.

Hidden behind a hill was an ice cream pale. I thought 'A-Ha, Found it!'. So I opened it up and sure enough the contents were typical of a cache. Pokemon cards, sharpener, pencils, log book, and some more swag. But the log book was empty. I thought perhaps it had just replaced so I signed it and flipped the book shut only to see that the log book was titled "Conner's". Now that's odd I thought. I'm pretty sure that the cache was named something else.

I check my GPS and it had finally sync'd up, ask it to find the nearest cache and sure enough, the cache is 24m away. I wander over, find and sign the real cache, and walk away somewhat bemused.

I've no clue who Conner is or why his stuff is there but I hope he doesn't mind I've signed myself into his logbook.

Very funny if you think about it.
Stonagal

PostPosted: May 05, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, two for the price of one! (if only)

Assuming it was indeed a geocache, and not just a stash of litter, then my guess is that it was somebody who went to the trouble of hiding a cache, only to find out when they tried to get it published that it was too close to a puzzle cache or multi cache that they didn't realize was within 161 m of that location. When that happens, the cacher is supposed to retrieve the container they hid, but maybe they just didn't bother and left it there. If that's the case, then it would be very difficult to determine who it belongs to, as the cache would never have been published and so we cannot search for it on GC.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: