Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Churchill (and Nunavut) The Sequel!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4elements5senses

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello cachers,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the MBGA sells the, "Walk with the Wolves! A Spirit Way GPS Adventure" Passport for $5.00 each. It works by first purchasing a passport that contains the coordinates to 49 different wolves; 35 wolves are in Thompson, 11 are in Winnipeg and the remaining 3 are in Churchill. You will find a wolf at each of the 49 posted coordinates, and you have to write down the title of each wolf in your passpost. When you have found all of the wolf titles in each city, you then can receive a passport stamp for each of the cities, provided you have the correct titles of each wolf. When all 3 cities are completed, you will be emailed a PDF Certificate and your name will be listed as a GPS Master Wolf Tracker on the website - and will become a member of an elite group of geocachers!

Please let me know if you would be interested in purchasing a passport, as I only have a limited number of them available - I will be writing down the names in the order that I receive the requests and I will post a message when they have all been accounted for.

Please feel free to visit www.thompsonspiritway.ca for more information as well.
netleyhunter

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dani, I will take you up on your offer for the ride. Who else will be joining us?
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

netleyhunter wrote:
Yes Dani, I will take you up on your offer for the ride. Who else will be joining us?

Yay! Just waiting to find out if Oakbank24 will be joining us

4elements5senses

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks!

Has anyone contacted Sea North Tours to make a reservation or inquire about the tours? I just spoke with Louise (1-204-675-2195), and she stated that there are NO openings available for ANY of their tours, including the snorkelling and kayaking, for Saturday August 24 as a large cruise ship is coming in! Therefore, every tour is booked to capacity, and has been for the past year. Louise stated there are openings on every OTHER day.....She also mentioned that the week we are coming is the only week in the entire year that orca's have been spotted...

Has anyone booked already, or inquired the availability with other tour operators? I am hoping that I have misunderstood something or there has been a miscommunication....
GroovyPinkSocks

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: tours Reply with quote

Hello, also just finished inquiring, and got the same answer seanothtours is booked to capacity, they however did give me another tour company, Lazybearlodge, they offer snorkeling at $199, Kayaking $135, Whale watching $100, and a heritage tour.
ohmic

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called Louise and she apologized, she had the dates mixed up...
Having said that, she has set aside 4 zodiacs for us for Friday morning. The tours would depart at 8:00 a.m. and return to the hotel by 11:00 a.m.
I left a message with the CNSC to change the times of the activities as follow:

11:00 pick up at the hotel
11:30 arrive at the CNSC, tour the facility
12:30 lunch
1:30 polar bear presentation
2:30 geocaching workshop
3:30 depart from CNSC
4:00 arrive at Hudson bay shoreline (by the Ithaca)
5:00 back to hotel

This will make for a long and tiring day but a very exciting one.
Let me know what you think.
ruylopez

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this all be on the Friday then?

Do we need to book any tours in advance if they have the Zodiacs set aside for us?

Does this include a tour of the Fort as well?
ohmic

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also contacted Lazy Bear Lodge and they cannot guarantee a spot on any their tours for us at this time. Their lodge guests have priority for tours and they won't know if there are any availability until a week before the tour (i.e. the 16 and 17 of August for a tour on the 23 and 24) although she said it looks good at this time.

The Sea North Tours can be booked in advance directly with them for the Friday morning. All tours included, even the fort.
GroovyPinkSocks

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Jacques for looking into all this and rearranging so we can do both! Very Happy Applause
4elements5senses

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks!! Thanks Jacques!

I just spoke with Louise and here is our info:

- she has 30 openings (as of today) for the Estuary Tour on Friday, August 23rd at 8am - $105 per person. This will not be on one of the four zodiaks that we have reserved. Phone Louise ASAP to book and tell them you are with the Geocaching group. They may book up those spots quickly so phone her ASAP!!!
-the four zodiaks have been reserved for us (thanks Jacques!!) at 8 am on Friday August 23rd. Those 4 zodiaks can be used for either:
1. The Beluga and Fort Tour - $115 per person which is a 1 hour tour of the Fort and 1 hour of beluga watching, or
2. Snorkeling with the belugas - $195 per person. If you chose to snorkel, (I signed up for it - yahoo!!) you have to go to the Polar Inn before the Friday the 23rd to get sized for your wetsuit. Fyi - you wear your bathing suit under your wet suit.

*Please phone Louise ASAP and inform her of which tour you would like to do - ENSURE YOU MENTION THAT YOU ARE WITH THE GEOCACHING GROUP* You will pay for the tour the day of, and she just needs your name, not a credit card.

If you would like to kayak with the belugas, which is $160 per person, the times and dates currently available are the 22nd at 3:30pm, 23rd at 4pm and the 24th at 430pm. Please wear good shoes, long pants and a hat and sunglasses are recommended.

Louise has asked that we phone her ASAP, no later than Wednesday August 07 to make a reservation for ANY of the above mentioned tours, including for our 4 reserved zodiaks, as she needs to start determining where our 4 zodiaks will be going. The toll free phone number is 1-888-348-7591.

I hope this info helps!
oakbank24

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dani, I have decided to go up to Thompson earlier. Thanks so much for giving me the option to with you.

To the others, I am either going up on the Monday or the Tuesday. I will be caching along the way. If I go on Monday, I will stay overnight in a tent in the paint lake campground. If I go up on Tuesday then I will go direct to Thompson.

If anyone wants to come in my vehicle I have lots of room. Currently it's only me.
MuStash

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just phoned Louise and have booked 2 of us on the Beluga and Fort tour. Really looking forward to this day. Thanks so much to OHMIC and 4e5s for pulling all this together.
MuStash

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to an excellent article in today's Winnipeg Free Press that is all about the beluga whales in the Churchill River estuary:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/where-whales-rule-the-world-218195202.html
GroovyPinkSocks

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: tours Reply with quote

I have just booked myself on the Estuary tour, saddened that it is not on a Zodiac, but excited to see the whales!, Very Happy
MHz

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had time to keep up with this forum so I missed seeing the note about the tours until today. I had e-mailed them back in mid-July and they booked us in for the Saturday and they confirmed us but I've now e-mailed them to change it to the Friday morning so we can go with some of the group on the Beluga and Fort tour. We'll see.

Is any one thinking of convoying up to Thompson?
I now have a full tank (MHz, THz, and the 2 gnirips) but would love to join a convoy of vehicles traveling up. Perhaps meet north of the city at Warren, MB or somewhere up there? If so what time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Events & Contests Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: