Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replace or Archive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junglehair

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Replace or Archive? Reply with quote

I have a cache in Winnipeg that has been in place for just over 10 years, but it appears to have gone missing now. World Peace was the first letterbox hide in Manitoba and was the only letterbox for about 6 years until the cache type was reintroduced.

Here's my question: Should I replace the cache and keep the history alive, or should I archive the listing and let someone new take the spot?
Stonagal

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion: I think if you're willing to replace it, you should do so. That cache is a piece of Manitoba geocaching history. I'm all for letting caches run their course, but I would hate to see this one go. If you don't want to maintain it, that's of course your call as CO, but I wouldn't want to see this one archived just to free up the space. My two cents.
jleecollins

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace the cache

The number of 6 digit/number cache are slowly disappearing

When they are gone they are gone

I have a number of the 6 - digit/number caches in the Marathon Ontario are and make sure they are maintain and replaced if I have to just to kept them active

Jim
KeeGee

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace! Replace!
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Another option Reply with quote

You could see if someone would like to adopt it.
Hakliva

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion is for you to either replace it, or adopt it out... its a piece of Manitoba geocaching history after all...
Bike_4_me

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I think replacing would be best. If you need someone to maintain or adopt it, I probably can. Take care.
4elements5senses

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with replacing the cache. With that much history, it would be sad to see archived. If maintenance is an issue, I'm sure that it would be adopted by another cacher.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote replace! I remember finding this with Dani when she hit #1000.

Stonagal

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shout out to JB. for replacing this one's container.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quite a fancy stamp you had in there, it will be difficult to replace, but worth it. It was the first letterbox I found and was very impressed with stamp.
A couple of months ago I was in the same quandary with my “Yellow Park-1” and decided to keep the history going, even if just for the Jasmer challenges out there.
junglehair

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. While I am an advocate for recycling cache locations and archiving caches once they have had their run, I do agree that this cache is a piece of Manitoba geocaching history. It was the first letterbox hide in Manitoba. This was one that I wanted to keep under my account as it was my first hide in Manitoba and my oldest active geocache. With all the friends I have still in Manitoba, I knew that maintenance wouldn't be an issue.

I mailed a new cache with stamp and stamp pad to ertyu and he agreed to go place it for me. In the mean time, JB had placed a temporary container, so I appreciate that effort as well. Unfortunately I couldn't find the same stamp as was originally in it. I checked two Michaels stores, but they don't seem to carry it any longer.

The original cache lasted in this location for over 10 years. Hopefully the new one will stay, but if it gets muggled again I may need to find a new location for it. That would be a shame since the tree it was in was actually spared when they built the golf course. The workers found the cache and left a note that they were going to leave the tree there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: