Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Churchill Dates Are Set!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crackerjackie

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Churchill Dates Are Set! Reply with quote

The Churchill Dates are set! We will be in Churchill from August 22nd until August 25th.

If you are taking the train from Thompson to Churchill, you will need to drive to Thompson on Friday August 21st to catch the 5 p.m. train and arrive in Churchill the next morning at 9:am. The train leaves Churchill Tuesday August 25th at 7:30 pm and arrives in Thompson at 11:30 am the next morning. Train return trip including taxes 121.80. This is for a seat in a regular car. If you want a berth it will cost more. The train you book on your own.

If you fly Calm Air you can shave a day off from either side and leave Winnipeg at 6:30 am on Saturday August 22nd and arrive in Churchill at 9:15 am on the way back for you can book your return flight leaving Churchill on Tuesday August 25th at 9:25 am, 2:30 pm, or 8 pm. Flights cost about $850.00 without taxes, but if you use Air Miles it will cost you 1,400 Air Miles and $99.75 for taxes and fees. You book the flight on your own.

We will be staying at the Tundra Inn for Saturday night and then moving to Lazy Bear Lodge for Sunday and Monday nights. I tried to get all 3 nights at Lazy Bear, but they are booked for Saturday.

On Saturday, I am looking at booking the Churchill Northern Studies Centre for lunch, a polar bear presentation, a tour of the facility, and a walk to get a geocache beside the facility. This includes transportation to and from the hotel and a bear guard when we are out getting the geocache and having a look around the grounds. The cost of this will be around $50 per person if we have 20 people going, If we have less than 20 people, it will be a little more as we will need to split the cost of transportation and driver 275.00 between us. I am not entirely sure when this needs to be paid by, but I will keep you posted.

Saturday night we will be staying at the Tundra Inn and the cost per double room is $130.50 and $20.00 per person up to a maximum of 4 people per room. Each room has 2 double/queen beds. The Tundra Inn will be booked and paid through me in order to receive the group discount. I am not entirely sure when this needs to be paid by, but I will keep you posted.

Saturday evening we will have a pub night at Tundra Inn. You pay for whatever you have on your own.

Sunday we will move over to Lazy Bear Lodge for the 2 day Beluga Whale Dream Tour which includes:

* 2 nights accommodations at the Lazy Bear Lodge
* Roundtrip airfare between Winnipeg and Churchill (optional)
* A three hour boat tour to see our friendly Beluga Whales and the Prince of Wales Fort
* A three hour Cultural and Heritage tour of the Churchill area including historic Cape Merry and the Polar Bear Jail
* One dinner entrée at the Lazy Bear Café (vegetarian available)
* Hearty breakfast after each night stay
* Shuttle Service from/to airport or train station upon arrival/departure
* Luggage handling in Churchill
* Transfers for Lazy Bear Lodge Tours
* Naturalist Tour Guide/driver

This tour package is 405.78 per person taxes included and based on double occupancy, if you want a room by yourself, it will cost more. I need at least half of this money by June 20th to secure your booking. If you want to pay ahead (through me) for kayaking 135.00 plus taxes or snorkeling 199.00 plus taxes, you will receive a 10% discount. Alternatively you can decide when you are there if you want to do these extra things and pay regular price on your own.

Any other meals or extra things not part of a tour package or not specifically listed here you will be paying for on your own. Just remember, I am one person trying to arrange a fun trip for us and trying to take advantage of whatever group discount I can. I am not a tour operator so don't try and hold me responsible if certain things don't work out.

If you have any questions you can post them here or email me at estherp@mts.net.
Bike_4_me

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Very interested in going Reply with quote

I am very interested in going to Churchill. Just haven't decided on whether to fly or drive. I'll wait to see who else is planning on driving up and taking the train.
Thanks, Crackerjackie for organizing this tour!
0011mixam

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Interested in Churchill Trip Reply with quote

I am definitely interested in going along on this trip and will let you know for sure in the very near future. If I go I would prefer to fly.

Update June 15: I'm in! Flights are booked and I'll be sharing a room with Bike_4_Me. Churchill has been on my bucket list for a very long time, so I'm really looking forward to this! Very Happy

Thanks so much for setting this up crackerjackie.

Last edited by 0011mixam on Jun 16, 2015 3:12 am; edited 2 times in total
4elements5senses

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had soo much fun on the first trip, I would definitely love to go again! I have a family wedding on the 22nd, so I would be flying to Churchill on the 23rd on the 7am flight to join up with everyone. I wouldn't need the accomadations at the tundra inn (it is very nice!) and would only participate in the Lazy Bear Lodge, Whale Dream Tour portion of the adventure. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work out!

Thanks for organizing, crackerjackie!! Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: