Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cacher of the month

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStuntman

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea to have a cacher of the month, but at that rate it will take 2 years to interview every one signed up to date. I expect the membership to at least double it's current size within the next year and that could potentially take another 2 years to become a featured member. If you had one per week, it would only take 6 months to a year.

What are your thoughts.      The-Stuntman

pink_panther

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

I personally think that's a good idea, but it's not up to me. Good luck!

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

I agree that it will take forever, but until we're up and running on a regular basis with a committee in place, it may be hard to do the once a week thing.  Maybe we can start of with 1 a month, and after a few months switch to 1 a week.

Or, I just had an idea, we don't have 1 cacher of the month, but maybe 3 or 4 ... How's that sound?

Also, Queen sent an email to the Contact Us, and had a great suggestion for the first Cacher ... she said that maybe we can seek out the first cacher to place a cache in the province.  I've passed it by Master Instigator and he thinks it's a good idea.  Now, hopefully, that person is still active.

Master Instigator

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

I have sent out an email, but I haven't received a reply yet.  I agree with Dani, it may be something to consider in the near future, but I would let the committee decide that one…Hum, committee, another thing I haven’t received any emails for.

1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

Love that quote "If a cache falls into the woods, would it ever be found?" Response: yes by muggles and especially if it is near a dead body or a marijuana grow operation.

Cacher of the month has two aspects: The hiders and the seekers (and a few who do both). Thinking creatively about who we'd want to feature is not difficult. We're looking for unique cachers. Those who've been at it since its beginnings, those who are eager FTFers, those who hide specialty caches - King of Micros, Macros etc. Those who like brutal hikes and have achieved them! I'm personally curious about the cacher known as Nimbadash. Maybe every third or fourth one should be a rural cacher who is more obscure but who has to travel far. Our purpose for featuring cachers should be to widen the horizons of where to place caches and where to go and find them. In the words of Buzz Lightyear: "To Infinity and Beyond!"

The Old Bat

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

I think one cacher a month is enough.  I would think we want to keep it an honour to be chosen.  If we have too many or are doing it on a weekly basis, I think it loses its appeal.

junglehair

PostPosted: May 05, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

Darn that Queen and all her jokers!!!

I just read their article as the first Cacher of the Month.  They mentioned doing Stony Brook Cache as their first find.  The Old Bat and I tried for that one a while back and ended up posting a DNF on it.  I remember seeing that it was found a few days later by a newbie as their first find.  I had to go back and check the logs ... you guess it, that was The Queen and Four Jokers!  Thanks for showing me up on your first find! :)

Congrats on being nominated Cacher of the Month.  Looking forward to finding more of your caches next time I'm in the 'Peg.

ertyu

PostPosted: May 06, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

I think one a month is enough. Cacher of the Month should be a feature, not an obligation to interview everyone. The forums can be used for people to share their thoughts, they don't necessarily need to be featured as Cacher of the Month.

The Old Bat

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: RE: Cacher of the month Reply with quote

M.I. was looking into finding the cacher who placed the first cache in Manitoba.  Not sure if he had any luck but the cacher who claims to have placed the first cache is e8ght and he placed CIBUA-cache in a builtup area.  This cache was placed 2/5/2001.  This cache has since been moved to Killarney. 

Maybe this is old news but thought I'd post it anyway. 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: