Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBGA email list?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grnbrg

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

Ok, hopefully without stepping on anyone's toes or starting a flame war...

As part of the MBGA coin purchase, I set up a mailing list so that I could easily send updates out to people. The coins are done, and I'll be decomissioning the list shortly.

Is there any interest in repurposing it as a general MBGA discussion list, in addition to these forums?

From a personal point of view, I much prefer email lists over web forums, as delivery is more immediate, and issues such as which posts have been read and from which of multiple computers is less of a hassle.

Thoughts?

grnbrg
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

I'm pretty leery about having my e-mail address on lists. I have sacrificial hotmail ID for that. It's too tempting for the list to be used for spam distribution (I think we even had one with the list set up for MBGA Coin info). It's also too easy for two people to start a conversation that gets sent to everyone on the list - and I'm always amazed how often people find that reply-to-all button when replying to someone’s joke. And of course, there's always risk that the list will be compromised.

I'm not knocking the MBGA GeoCoin list you created, that was a good (and efficient way) for you to get timely information out to all the interested parties and it served it's purpose well.

I agree, it's a little inconvenient to view forums on multiple computers, but I can live with that. I too like the immediacy of (legitimate) e-mail, and I'd prefer to get an e-mail every time someone posts on the forum (as long as it doesn't get too active).

grnbrg

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

TurdleEggs wrote:
I'm pretty leery about having my e-mail address on lists. I have sacrificial hotmail ID for that. It's too tempting for the list to be used for spam distribution (I think we even had one with the list set up for MBGA Coin info).

Me too, although I use gmail. Requiring moderator approval to join or post makes things pretty much spam free, though. And Google Groups obscures email when displaying messages through the web interface. And the coin list was tightened to the point that some people on the list had trouble posting to it. :) I don't think we had any outside posts. (There was this one guy flogging geocoins, but that doesn't count.)

It's also too easy for two people to start a conversation that gets sent to everyone on the list - and I'm always amazed how often people find that reply-to-all button when replying to someone’s joke.

Ahh, the dreaded "Me too!!" problem. I can't argue with that. I've come close to unsubscribing to some lists over that sort of thing.

And of course, there's always risk that the list will be compromised.

I suppose. Although the risk of this is *really* small, and the impact is that you end up with some spam in an otherwise clean email.

grnbrg
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

One of the stipluations that I've set out when people sign up for members is that their email addresses and personal information won't be divulged to anyone without their explicit permission.  I'm not willing to break that agreement.

In addition, the Canadian government has set legal precedent that no one's personal information can be divulged.  If you need more information, you can probably google "PIPEDA".

Thanks for understanding.

grnbrg

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

dani_carriere wrote:

One of the stipluations that I've set out when people sign up for members is that their email addresses and personal information won't be divulged to anyone without their explicit permission.  I'm not willing to break that agreement.

Don't get me wrong -- I wasn't suggesting that the list (if it gets the nod) should be automatically populated with member email addresses. I wouldn't be comfortable with that as a list admin, and would be really upset if an organization I was part of did something like that with my address.

I'm floating the idea of setting up a list to complement these forums, that members (or non-members, for that matter) can join if they want. Or not.

My intention with the suggestion of a mail list is that it make a positive contribution to the Association. If this is not the case, then I'm happy to shelve the idea.

grnbrg
ertyu

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

A mailing list is a good idea.

Spam is everywhere, don't let that impede a good idea.

grnbrg

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

Well, let's see how it works out. We can always drop it later.

I'll also pass around a sign-up sheet at the event on Sunday (Feb. 19th).

The list has been set up under Google Groups, with the following features:
  • Anyone can subscribe.

• Anyone can view the list archives.

• Posts from new members will be moderated.

• Non-members can post, but will be moderated.

Note that while the list archives are public, Google obscures the displayed addresses to prevent spiders from scraping emails. Similarly, spam might be sent to the list, but the only person who will see it will be the moderator.

Subscribe here or send email to MBGA-subscribe@googlegroups.com

edit: The schmancy subscription form code got eaten. Replaced with simple URLs.
edit: Links fixed. Teknawlugy is hard.

grnbrg
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

This is a good idea. You've calmed my fears of a spam outbreak.

I won't be able to attend the cheesecake war on the 19th, so I electronically signed up for the list.

BTW, the "Subscribe here" link doesn't work (even when I remove the extra http). The email signup worked fine.

Thanks Brian

grnbrg

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: RE: MBGA email list? Reply with quote

TurdleEggs wrote:

BTW, the "Subscribe here" link doesn't work (even when I remove the extra http).

D'OH!

Fixed.

grnbrg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: