Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStuntman

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

I looks like this forum has enough intrest to go ahead with the course.

With the help of Mr. Burchill we have worked out a two part indoor/outdoor course that will hopefully appeal to most people.

No date yet but keep an eye on this forum I hope to have some thing soon. We are aiming for mid to late Nov.

I'm trying to keep the class size at 20 - 30 people. If we get more intrest I will plan for another class. Coures Fee= $5.oo Procedes to the MBGA

Please register for the course by posting a reply to this forum saying "sign me up".

-- Edited by TheStuntman at 21:21, 2006-11-04

Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

Sign me up (1 person)

Peter

junglehair

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

Sign me up - 1 person

candaceandwill

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

Date depending, I want to participate. (Will only, not Candace)  I'll probably have quite a bit to contribute to the session with my background in camping, canoeing, hiking, orienteering, etc.    I take kids (Cubs & Scouts) out camping all the time so for parents looking to do a little bush wacking -- I mean caching -- I can also contribute some simple safety rules to tell your kids before heading out. 

If possible, setting a date ASAP for those of us who may need to book off work would be appreciated.  Thank you to those who are organizing this training event! 

Sam and Lily

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

" Sign me up! " I would like to participate, date depending. This time of year can be tricky as there are so many obligations nearing Xmas.I'll give you a solid yay or nay once a date is set.

Ztirnats

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

I'm in, date depending as well.  Nov 19 is out as is Nov 25 ... but don't base this on me!  As long as sometime before spring someone can show me what Poison Ivy and Poison Oak look like, I'll be ahead of the game.

I used to be a Girl Guide , so I can probably help with the compass stuff .. and I can start fires (but that's less due to the fact that I was a Guide and more attributable to the fact that I'm a pyromaniac).  Anyone got a light? 

Wagonmaker

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

I would be intersted in participating, but I'm unsure if I'll have the time in November. Once I know the date, I'll be able to say for sure.

TheStuntman

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

The date for the Safety Tips course will be Saturday Dec.2 From 12 Noon - 3pm Meeting room #4 off the dining room @ The Garden City Inn. 

The outdoor portion will be Sunday Dec.3 12 noon @ Birdshill Park Whitetail deer trail lot.

Looks like we've got lots of room, so bring a friend.

TheStuntman

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

Just a quick update, the Sunday Birdshill meeting area has been moved to the Chickadee Trail lot. More parking and sheltered. Remember to dress for the weather.

junglehair

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

TheStuntman wrote:

Just a quick update, the Sunday Birdshill meeting area has been moved to the Chickadee Trail lot. More parking and sheltered. Remember to dress for the weather.

Here's a map of the park for anyone that is interested.  Take the North Drive to get to the Chickadee Trail.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/popular_parks/birds_hill/birds_hill_park_map.pdf

burchil

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

To make life easy here are the co-ordinates to the end of the parking lot.

N 50 01.199 W 096 54.030 My starting co-ordinates from a nice short ski today and checking trails.

N 50 01.200 W 096 54.035 The starting point to Griffiths Hill Tower cache (thanks Peter and Gloria)

burchil

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

We were asked today about posting a list of 'stuff' we would take and the reasons why.  Once I get a chance I will post a list along with the map I generated - both need to be cleaned up a little first.

-- Edited by burchil at 17:12, 2006-12-02

TheStuntman

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

This is a picture list to compliment Burchil's comprehensive list soon to follow.

This is just an example of what I would take on a (summer)weekend hike. Note: the "seal line" dry bag contains a change of clothes. My tarp, blanket and pad would be rolled into one roll. The reason for 2 water bottles is they do break. (personal experience) The food items shown are; packs of soup mix. hot choc packets, granola bars, trail mix, packs of drink crystals and a boil in bag meal (serves 2).

Missing from the pic, the clothes on my back, fishing rod, some beef jerkey, roll of orange flaging tape and a 6' foot walking staff.

If someone asked me, "If I only had 2 items to choose from the above which would they be and why"?

Tough choice but the first item would be the knife. A knife is a very valuable tool, it gives you the ability to make other tools. Fires, shelters, hunting/fishing tools etc.

Second choice would be the tarp. Having a roof over your head and a dry plade to sit can give you a secure feeling in the middle of nowhere.

There really are only three basic needs, Food/Water, Fire, and Shelter. Depending on the time of year, the only thing that would change would be the order of what is most important. The rest is icing on the cake.

-- Edited by TheStuntman at 19:19, 2006-12-04

burchil

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Hiking/ Backpacking/Safety Course Reply with quote

OK - it has taken me a really long time to put the text together and even now it is still an eclectic list of ideas spit out as a train of thought rather than organized.  I don't even have a nice picture like Stuntman.

I agree with the The Stuntman -  Knife and tarp are good ideas.  Since I get the choice ahead of time this seems reasonable.

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~burchil/mantario/gps/mbga_notes.html

At some point I will post my list of things to check before I go on a trip.  It changes each time I go out, time of year, length of trip.  The list is usually written on a scrap of paper that is lost or recycled almost as soon as I have packed. 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: