Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groundspeak Project Coins/Tokens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junglehair

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Groundspeak Project Coins/Tokens Reply with quote

I've been trying to find out more about a square coin that was picked up in a cache in Winnipeg last year.  I've started collecting geocoins, and it seems that the square coin and round "GD" coin are quite rare and something that many geocoin collectors are looking for.

A pic of the coins can be seen here:

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/2c98320c-db93-4ec1-bbed-6c86fab7ceb8.jpg

Have you seen coins like these in other caches around the 'Peg?  Do you have them in your collection?  Any idea who made them? 

The square coin was found in a cache by GreatDane.  I've emailed him about it, but am wondering if the "GD" on the round coin might stand for GreatDane.  I'm waiting to hear back from him, but in the mean time, was wondering how many other coins like this are floating around the Winnipeg area.

ertyu

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Groundspeak Project Coins/Tokens Reply with quote

I've seen both and even moved a round GD before after trying to figure out what it was.

I recall seeing a round GD within the recent past aswell, the past month I think.

junglehair

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: RE: Groundspeak Project Coins/Tokens Reply with quote

I was able to track down the origin of these coins.  They were put out by GreatDane.  Here is the info he sent me on them:

Yes, I do know something about this coin:
I had them made up by a trophy shop here in Winnipeg. The coin was supposed
to be round (like the geo-caching logo), but the shop made a mistake. I have
since had some round coins made. You may come across them from time to time,
I guess, I placed about 30 of them in different caches.

GreatDane

I think it's kind of funny that they are from Winniepg.  I know lots of the avid geocoin collectors here in the US are dying to get their hands on one.  Don't believe me - try putting one up on eBay if you have it and see how much it goes for!  The round one is referred to as the GD Mystery Coin and the square one usually just gets called the Groundspeak Project (Square) coin.

Here's a link to a coin trading site - you can see what I mean:

http://cointracking.com/public/Atlanta_Gal

junglehair

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Groundspeak Project Coins/Tokens Reply with quote

One thing i did find out while trying to track down the origin of this coin was that the logo usage was never approved by Groundspeak (oops!).  Just beware of that, if you plan to make something similar.

MHz

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Groundspeak Project Coins/Tokens Reply with quote

I know I moved a sqaure one to McGillvray in the Whiteshell. From the online logs, it might still be there junglehair! I didn't know what it was either so I called it a geocaching medallion and just moved it from one cache to another. MHz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: