Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blackberry Info?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThreeTs

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Blackberry Info? Reply with quote

I think this is a good place to ask about this info as I know some of you have a Blackberry or reasonable facsimile!

My dad is retiring next week and my mom is thinking of buying him a Blackberry as a gift.  They travel in the winter and there are obvious bonuses to having one.  She was told email is only available in North America with it.  Is this true?  I know absolutely nothing about these things so I need info.  Any info anybody can provide me with would be appreciated.  My Mom and I both thank you!

bevro

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Blackberry Info? Reply with quote

Other than the fact that most business people are in love with these and can't do without them, RIM (the Canadian manufacturer) is facing a huge patent infringement suit in the US that could potentially bankrupt them and force them out of the US market within the next year, even though the US patent office says there is no patent infringement!    I would hold off for a bit before sinking a bunch of money and having not a lot to show for it.  The internet cafe route might be a safer option in the near future.  They are everywhere.

bevro

-- Edited by bevro at 22:46, 2006-02-08

lizardo

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: RE: Blackberry Info? Reply with quote

As far as I know the BB e-mail only works in North America.  Additionally, if you are getting the voice/data version, and are planning on travelling, make sure you purchase a North American long distance upgrade for the time you are travelling.  It all depends on how much you plan to use it, but in some regions, long distance rates billed to roaming users can be significant.  You would be wise to plan ahead.  Especially if you plan on using it while you are travelling between provider coverage areas.  This same advice is useful when using a cell phone while travelling.

I can't speak for message rates when connected to another provider.  You should make sure to ask the dealer.  I go to Primetime Communications.  They have been good to me.  And they are right in your neighborhood.  Although they are moving to across from the mall in a short time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: