MBGA Committee Meeting - January 9, 2008

Location: Big Guys Restaurant (N49 49.649 W097 06.3563)

Meeting called to order at 19:04 CST.

Committee members present: Dani (dani_carriere), Tim (TurdleEggs), Steven (ertyu), Sandra (junglehair), Nick (bevro), Jacques (OHMIC), Tobey (3T's&aG), and Paula (MHz).

Committee members not present: Ray (slippery_1), Peter (Peter & Gloria), Richard (KiteKacher), and Sean (Dragonfreys).

Members Present: Brian (grnbrg), and Karen (Turdle-Femme).

Old Minutes

  • Tim asked for any corrections to the minutes from November 28, 2007. Tobey motioned that the minutes be accepted. Dani seconded it. All agreed.

Membership Report - Steven

  • As of January 9, 2008, there are currently 488 registered members. 445 are Manitoba residents and 187 have been active in the last 6 months.

Treasurer Report - Peter

  • Report submitted December 21, 2007. Bank balance at that time was at $1329.82.

Ad Sense report – Dani

  • Ad Sense has sent a cheque for $104.00 USD.

Old Business

Printing of brochures and business cards – Jacques

  • About 200 brochures and 500 business cards will be printed as soon. Business has been very busy for Stan (Z’tirnats) and he will get to them as soon as he can.

Mailing List – Steven & Tim

  • Mass sign up of all current member logins was completed and a welcome message sent. So far only one person has unsubscribed from the new mailing list.

Milestones on website – Steven, Peter & Dani

  • Peter is still working on the milestones and when he is done, Steven will look into further automation.

Cacher of the Month – Richard & Steven

  • Steven has opted to not post the new Cacher of the Month until the 15th of the month so that the web page is not flooded with new info right at the beginning of the month (milestones etc) and it helps spread out the amount of web work needed to be done over the month.

Vendor Form letter – Dani & Tim

  • Dani has finished the mail merge friendly version of the form letter and tested it.
  • Tim will send them within the next week.

Calendar of Events – Tobey

  • Tobey brought a list of upcoming events as follows:
    • January 16, 2008 – Pub Nite – Bailey’s Lounge
    • February 10, 2008 – Bowling event – Looking into something like one free game on the MBGA
    • February 29, 2008 – Leap Year/ Blizzard event
    • March 5, 2008 – MBGA Anniversary – Round Table
    • May 4, 2008 – Cache the Marsh – Oak Hammock Marsh
    • April 2008 - CITO 2008 – Earth Day
    • April/May 2008 – MBGA Annual General Meeting/Elections
    • June 2008 – MB/SK Madge Lake
    • June 2008 – Riding Mountain National Park
    • July 2008 – Ashern (prohkor )
    • August 2008 – GeoVenture 2008
    • August 2008 – Winnipeg Beach (ginny212)
    • September/October 2008 – New Blitz/Splash type event

Assiniboine Park Zoo – Sandra

  • Sandra met with Jim (Flotsom and Jetsom) and a representative from the zoo to discuss the possibility of adding some permanent caches in the zoo and also about having an event at the zoo. Zoo may provide rental GPS units for people who want to try geocaching while visiting the zoo.

Winter Blizzard – Steven, Scott & Tobey

  • Contest is well under way with the well attended Flash Mob kick-off event. 10 new SNOW caches so far and Clue contest is well under way.
  • Prizes categories need to be decided upon and finalized and prizes assigned from the inventory list. Tim suggested that since we have now sold enough MBGA crests to cover the cost of having them made that every MBGA prize give away should include one. All agreed.

Training Web Page – Jacques & Steven

  • Steven has set up a brief training web page but needs more content. Jacques will forward some more info he used fro the Leisure Guide to help fill out the web page.

Upcoming Training – Jacques & Nick

  • Training coming up is as follows:
    • January 19, 2008 – White Plains workshop in Headingley – Nick
    • March 15, 2008 – French Leisure Guide workshop – Jacques
    • April 12, 2008 - White Plains workshop in St. Francis Xavier – Nick
    • May 22, 2008 – Refit Activity Guide workshop – Nick
    • July 23, 2008 – Refit Activity Guide workshop - Nick

Planning Subcommittee – Tim

  • The draft copy of the Bylaws was reviewed prior to the meeting and any amendments and corrections were given to Paula to incorporate into the draft copy. A final draft copy should be ready to be put up in the forums by late next week.
  • Planning Subcommittee should be meeting in the next 2 weeks to work on the budget and finalize the mission statement. Policies should be worked on as the time allows. Target is to have mission statement and budget ready for the next committee meeting.

New Business

jIRC Client - Brian

  • An anonymous donation was made to purchase the new java client jIRC from JPilot as an alternative to connecting to the MBGA chat room. New client works well but default colors will need to be changed.

Winnipeg Sun Article – Jacques

  • Jacques mentioned that a new article on the MBGA and geocaching should be coming up soon in the Winnipeg Sun. Blizzard Winter Contest info was sent to them as well.

Snowman Contest – Jacques

  • Chris (prohkor) has been in contact with Jacques about setting up a contest in the interlake region to promote the placement of geocaches with the theme being snowmen. Jacques pointed out to Chris that geocaches should last for at least 3 months and snowmen will melt before then and also pointed out the possible conflict with the Winter Blizzard event where a new winter friendly cache requires the word SNOW in the cache name. Chris is working on it.

Domain name renewal – Dani

  • Dani has renewed the mbgeocaching.ca domain name for another year.

Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) – Tim

  • MEC is still in regular contact with Tim and really wants to help on the training side of things. It was suggested that Tim ask them for prizes for the upcoming CITO event again as it worked out well last year. Tim will look into it.

Next Meeting

  • Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 7:00pm at the Pembina Village Inn

Meeting adjourned by Steven at 21:03 CST.

Previous Meetings