MBGA Committee Meeting - February 12, 2008

Location: Pembina Village Restaurant (333 Pembina Hwy)

Meeting called to order at 19:17 CST.

Committee members present: Dani (dani_carriere), Tim (TurdleEggs), Steven (ertyu), Sandra (junglehair), Jacques (OHMIC) and Tobey (3T's&aG).

Committee members not present: Ray (slippery_1), Peter (Peter & Gloria), Richard (KiteKacher), Nick (bevro), Paula (MHz) and Sean (Dragonfreys).

Members Present: Scott (Lizardo).

Old Minutes

  • Tim asked for any corrections to the minutes from January 9, 2008. All agreed to accept the minutes.

Membership Report - Steven

  • As of February 12, 2008, there are currently 492 registered members, 445 of which are Manitoba residents. That is an increase of 4 and 3 respectively since January 9. 177 members have been active in the last 6 months, a decrease of 10.

Ad Sense report – Dani

  • Dani passed on the Ad Sense cheque of $104.86 to Tim for deposit.

Upcoming Events - Tobey

Tentative Schedule

  • February 29, 2008 – Leap Year/ Blizzard event
  • March 5, 2008 – MBGA Anniversary – Round Table
  • March 2008 - Games Night
  • April 10, 2008 – Karoke Pub Nite
  • April 2008 - CITO 2008 – Earth Day
  • April 30, 2008 – MBGA Annual General Meeting/Elections
  • May 4, 2008 – Cache the Marsh – Oak Hammock Marsh
  • June 2008 – MB/SK Madge Lake
  • June 2008 – Riding Mountain National Park
  • July 2008 – Ashern (prohkor )
  • August 2008 – Winnipeg Beach (ginny212)
  • August/September 2008 – GeoVenture 2008
  • September 13/14, 2008 - Turtle Mountain Event (Walkin Country)
  • September/October 2008 – New Blitz/Splash type event

Upcoming Training - Jacques, Nick

Tentative Schedule

  • February 28, 29, March 2, 2008 - RV Show - ?
  • March 19, 2008 – French Leisure Guide workshop – Jacques
  • April 12, 2008 - White Plains workshop in St. Francis Xavier – Nick
  • May 22, 2008 – Refit Activity Guide workshop – Nick
  • July 23, 2008 – Refit Activity Guide workshop - Nick

Old Business

Printing of brochures and business cards – Jacques

  • Stan (Z’tirnats) is waiting for idle time at the shop, he will get to them as soon as he can.

Winnipeg Sun Article - Jacques

  • Nothing has been heard, the article may not happen.
  • Scott was also in contact with the Sun regarding publishing the CITO event.

Upcoming Training Sessions - Jacques

  • Leisure Guide Session in french is taking place March 19.
  • Jacques is attending a brainstorming session with CDEM with regards to some kind of cache near the longitudinal center of Canada.

Snowman Contest Update - Jacques

  • 2 Snowman caches were placed, well short of the record.
  • Both caches participated in the Winter Blizzard event however.

Prokhor's Summer Event - Jacques

  • Nothing has been heard about this tentative event.

Calendar of Events – Tobey

  • Bowling event was successful. The MBGA covered costs in the amount of $91 for the event.
  • A games night was discussed as a possibility for March. Scott was going to look into the availability of his community center. It also discussed if we should get a liquor license for the event.
  • 'Walkin Country' from the Boissevain/Turtle Mountain area is planning a geocaching event for the second weekend in September. They have reserved their B&B for the event.

Assiniboine Park Zoo – Sandra

  • Jim (Flotsom and Jetsom) has been working with the zoo on hiding caches. Sandra contacted onecrazycanadian about the admission fee at the zoo and that shouldn't be a hindrance to publishing zoo caches. No further information about a possible event.

Winter Blizzard – Steven, Scott & Tobey

  • Contests are going very well, over 30 caches hidden.
  • Scott and Steven will work on the Clue event to move it along.
  • Prizes can be selected from the MBGA prize bin at the March 5 pub nite or distributed to people who can't attend.

Training Web Page – Steven

  • Nothing has happened so far. Steven will send out a reminder.

Vendor Form letter – Tim

  • Tim has the form letter and has tested the mail merge.
  • Tim is going to try to get a MBGA banner or letterhead made.

MEC - Tim

  • Ongoing discussion, nothing definite yet.

Planning Subcommittee – Tim

  • Nothing new to report. Another meeting should take place in late February.

Bylaws - Tim

  • It was agreed that the maximum number of directors be increased to 12 from 10.
  • A discussion regarding the current regional representatives took place. It was felt that no changes were required in the bylaws, any eligible member may become a director, including rural members. A statement will be added to one of the other documents that reflects our desire for regional representation.
  • Clarification was added to make it clear when nominations could be accepted at the meeting. In this case, when the number of nominations was less than the maximum number of directors.
  • The qualifications to be a director were also clarified.
  • Several other minor errors were agreed to.

New Business

RV Show speaker - Jacques

  • A request was made for speakers at the RV Show on the forums.
  • Jacques is able to give a talk during one session. He will get in contact to make arrangements.

MB History Geocaching - Tobey

  • Lois McGill-Horn has been in touch with Tobey with regards to setting up a educational history component with geocaches.
  • Nothing fleshed out yet, but something that combines learning element for students with history lessons related to landmarks that can be achieved through caches.
  • It was mentioned that this would be a good fit for Home Schooling. Dani or Junglehair are going to inquire about this.

RRC Journalism Interview - Tobey

  • Cystal Klippenstein was interested in doing an article on geocaching.
  • She visited Tobey at campus and found a cache.
  • Her article will be forwarded on to the association when finished.

Geoventure 2008 - Tim

  • Possible dates for the event have been forwarded to Paul and he didn't have any issues with them.
  • The potential dates: Aug 16-17, Aug 23-24 and Sept 6-7 will be posted to the forums to garner feedback.

AGM Date and Committees - Tim

  • Tentative date of the AGM is April 30, possibly at Scott and Tannis's church.
  • Tim suggested that two committees are required. An AGM committee to organize the event and a Nomination committee to run the election.
  • Tobey and Dani volunteered for the AGM committee and Steven volunteered for the Nomination committee.

Election Policy - Tim

  • The draft election policy was reviewed.
  • There was discussion about the requirements for being on the nominating committee. It was decided that the requirements for being on the nominating committee should be the same as the requirements for being a director.
  • It was also decided that there should be a call for nomination committee members put out around the same time as the election is called. The association should strive to have at least one member on the committee who is not part of the board or a nominee.
  • The description of an eligible voter was also discussion and it was decided that in order to have a complete voters list available at the AGM, that an eligible member must be a member as of noon the day prior to the AGM.

Post planning statements and policies - Tim

  • The planning committee will work on getting the other policies completed and available for review.
  • It was determined that the current MBGA committee should finalize the bylaws and policies prior to bringing them to the AGM for approval.
  • It was also noted that at the AGM, the chair should attempt to pass the policies and separate any contentious issues into separate amendments to be voted on.

Chaboille Tourism Event - Jacques

  • Jacques informed the committee that the Chaboille Tourism had attempted to hold a geocaching event but their listing was denied due to commercial interests with the festival occurring at the time of the event.
  • It was too short a time line to remedy the situation, however we will work with them in the future on events.
  • It was noted that it wasn't always clear what geocaching.com views as commercial and it is often easy to make satisfactory changes to get an event published after discussing it with the reviewer.

U of W Training - Jacques

  • Jacques completed a training session for future teachers at the U of W February 5.

Next Meeting

  • Some time in April.

Meeting adjourned by Tim at 21:29 CST.

Previous Meetings