MBGA Board of Directors Meeting - June 24, 2008

Location: Jeffery’s Restaurant (N49 56.729 W97 05.203)

Meeting called to order at 18:59 CDT.

Board members present: Sandra (junglehair), Jacques (OHMIC), Jeff (HoggerJeff & the Piglets), Steven (ertyu), Tim (TurdleEggs), Peter (Peter & Gloria), and Paula (MHz).

Board members not present: Ray (slippery_1), Dani (dani_carriere), Georgia (GG+J) and Carmène (Mosaik Voyage)

Members present: Robert (Tracker 70)

Upcoming Events

  • July 3, 2008 - Jail Break Pub Nite
  • July 11-21, 2008 - Second Annual Eastman GPS Challenge
  • July 18-19, 2008 - Cache My Ashern
  • July 31, 2008 - Reviewer’s Night Out
  • September 6-7, 2008 - GeoVenture 2008

Upcoming Training - Nick, Jacques, Sandra, Carmène

  • July 23, 2008 - Refit Centre - Nick
  • September 2008 - White Plains Recreation Association - Nick
  • October 2008 - Leisure Guide (French and English) - Carmène, Jacques

Old Minutes

  • Tim asked for any corrections to the minutes from May 28, 2008. Jacques motioned for them to be accepted. Sandra seconded it. All agreed.

Membership Report - Steven

  • As of June 24, 2008, there are currently 567 registered members. 515 are Manitoba residents and 180 have been active in the last 6 months. Since the last meeting May 27, there are increases of 18, 15 and 15 respectively.

Treasurer Report - Peter

  • Total available funds are $1036.47. (Note this is much abbreviated from one given verbally at the meeting by Peter) Jeff motioned to accept the report as Peter stated it. Paula seconded it. All agreed.
  • Signing authority has been updated at the bank.

Old Business

Cleanup from board transition - Tim, Steven

  • All done.

Membership Renewals - Tim, Steven

  • Not done yet.

Web Page Subcommittee - Steven, Tim, Carmène and Sandra

  • Steven sent around an e-mail with some suggestions on how to make the web page more friendly for first time cachers. He has not gotten a response as of yet.

Pub Nite Beer Steins - Dani

  • No new progress.

Jail Break Pub Nite - Sandra

  • After a packed few weeks of events, it was decided to have a cache walk-about. Sandra suggested tackling a harder cache that most new cachers would not attempt on their own. It was decided to try International Mobility Portal (aka TB Prison) GC1674Y. Even though it may not be fully completed that evening, it will give people a good start on it. That will be followed by a usual Pub Nite and will be on July 3, 2008.

Summer Finding Contest - Steven, Jacques, Peter and Sandra

  • Steven suggested having a finding contest to get cachers out to find the lesser found caches in the province. Type of caches, points, scores etc were all discussed and ended in a subcommittee being struck to make a list of caches and get the contest ready to run the months of July and August. Members of the subcommittee are Steven, Sandra, Peter and Jacques. A windup event will happen in the fall.

Training Web Page Content - Tim, Carmène

  • This still has not been done and gotten to Steven for inclusion on the web site.

Caching the Zoo - Sandra

  • This event went very well with about 28 cachers logging the event, over 40 cache sheets handed in and about 50 people in attendance with 2 new families trying geocaching for the first time.

Introduction to Geocaching, Thompson - Sandra

  • Sandra reported another good event that she held in Thompson with about 5 cachers and 20 people in attendance.

Reviewer’s Nite - Sandra

  • The Round Table was picked as the place for the Reviewer’s Night event. The event listings will be updated shortly.
  • Sandra asked if maybe a gift from the MBGA to the reviewer was in order and all agreed. Sandra will look into something appropriate.

New Business

Tache Historic Society - Jacques, Carmène

  • This group is looking for someone to run a 2 hour GPS activity on June 29, 2008 for about 60 people, mostly kids.
  • Jacques will do if he cannot get in touch with Carmène.

Geocaching Promotion Inquiry - Jacques

  • Jolene from Fusion Marketing has inquired about geocaching and how to help promote it in Manitoba. Jacques is working on finding out exactly what they are looking for.

CBC French Show - Jacques

  • Jacques will be helping CBC create a 2 hour show on showing off some of the less traveled Winnipeg sites that have geocaches.

Training Inquires - Jeff

  • Jeff asked how he can direct training inquires as he has gotten one from his daughter’s school in Brandon. There are a number of ways to handle these inquires. The training presentations and information kept on the FTP site, he can try tackling it himself if he is willing. Also an e-mail to the directors will give him some help as well as to Carmène the training coordinator to see if a trainer is available.

Ashern Caches - Sandra

  • Sandra stopped and tried a few of the caches in Ashern on her way back from Thompson and reports that many of them are wet and in poor containers. She also reported the fact to the Ashern Chamber of Commerce via gc.com about this and how it looks for the upcoming event there. No reply as of yet.

MBGA GPS inventory information - Paula, Sandra

  • Nick (bevro) gave a listing of the serial numbers of the club’s GPS units but not the model numbers etc. Sandra currently has the club GPS units and will update that info on the FTP site.

Interlake Geocoins - Jacques

  • Jacques mentioned that the Interlake Tourism Association is in the process of having geocoins made. Wait for them soon!

Rendez-vous Québec 2008 (GC17PMY) - Jacques

  • Jacques reminded everyone of the upcoming Mega event in Quebec coming up in the beginning of August.

Muggle Cards - Jeff

  • Jeff handed out a few of his Muggle Cards that he hands out to non geocachers when they ask him about it. He suggested that the MBGA could substitute the club logo for his and use them. All thought it was a good idea Jeff will provide a copy and upload it to the FTP site.

Next Meeting

  • The next meeting will be on August 12, 2008 at Jeffery’s Restaurant at 7:00pm.

Meeting adjourned by Sandra 20:20 CDT.

Previous Meetings