- No upcoming events available.
MBGA Board of Directors Meeting - January 13, 2009
Location: Pembina Village Restaurant (N49 52.250 W97 08.668)
Meeting called to order at 19:20 CST.
Board members present: Sandra (junglehair), Jeff (HoggerJeff & the Piglets), Steven (ertyu), Tim (TurdleEggs), Peter (Peter & Gloria), Dani (dani_carriere), Jacques (OHMIC) and Georgia (GG+J).
Board members not present: Ray (slippery_1), Carmène (Mosaik Voyage) and Paula (MHz).
Members present: Scott (lizardo).
- MBGA Breakfast at the Star Grill (Conservatory) - Saturday, January 24, 2009
- MBGA Pub Night - Finn McCues at The Forks - Friday, January 30, 2009
- MBGA Training Session - Intro to HTML - Wednesday, February 11, 2009
- MBGA Pub Night - Boogies on Main - Friday, February 20, 2009
- MBGA Birthday Bash Pub Night - Thirsty Lion Tavern, Park West Inn - Thursday, March 5, 2009
Upcoming Training – Nick (bevro), Jacques, Sandra, Carmène
- Leisure Guide - Fort Rouge Leisure Center - March 7, 2009 1-4pm - Carmène
- Whyte Ridge Girl Guides - March 17, 2009 - Sandra
- White Plains Rec Session - Phoenix Community Center, Headingly - April 16
- Leisure Guide - Fort Rouge Leisure Center - May 23 1-4pm
- Tim asked for any corrections to the minutes from November 25, 2008. None were given. Jeff motioned for the minutes to be accepted as published. Georgia seconded it. All agreed. Motion carried.
Membership Report - Steven
- As of January 13, 2009, there are currently 406 registered members. 376 are Manitoba residents. A net increase of 2 in each since the last meeting of November 25, 2008.
Treasurer Report - Peter
- Total available funds are $1,581.95. (Note this is much abbreviated from one given verbally at the meeting by Peter). Peter also presented the year end (December 31, 2008) budget review which noted a net gain of $185.83 for the year. A net loss of $325.00 was budgeted. A new budget will need to be prepared for 2009.
Manitoba Parks Geocaching Policy – Dani
- Cathy Hummelt from Manitoba Parks and Natural Areas Branch attended to discuss and brief us on the policy for geocaching in Manitoba Parks.
- It was noted that caches will not be allowed in areas of park that are designated wilderness or heritage. Cathy will see if maps can be provided with this detail.
- There was also much discussion about grand-fathering existing caches, how to contact park officials at all times in all locations, submitting the cache hiding information form and who would review it at MB Parks.
- Cathy will take the information and questions back and review the policies.
Winter Hiding/Finding Contest – Steven, Dani, Paula
- Contest is underway and already has a few entries. It combines many aspects of geocaching to get everyone involved.
Pub Nite update - Sandra
- Events through early March are published.
- There will probably be a karaoke pub nite organized by Tobey, tentatively April 10
- May 2 & 3, 2009 is the official CITO date. Scott is looking into hosting an event for CITO. The May date is more conducive to Manitoba participation this year. The TD Shoreline Cleanup event was also discussed for CITO, it takes place in September. Scott will contact them about a potential event.
Ad Sense report - Dani
- Current balance is $77.27. Forecasting $100 by April.
- Will retain the Ads as is for now, but scale them back after the next cheque.
GPS Central renewal - Dani
- GPS Central Advertising has been renewed for the period Jan 1 to Dec 31, 2009.
MBGA brochures - Jacques
- Nothing has happened.
- We can continue using the existing brochures as required and making photocopies.
Training web page content – Due Feb/2009 - Tim
- Tim reviewed our existing content and came up with some suggestions.
- Limit training to 1 course, an introductory session.
- Provide details of the course on a description page and also link to Oak Hammock Marsh and Tourism Riel for alternate training suppliers.
- The committee reviewed and revised the training expenses and policies we had previously developed.
- The web content would include a description page, a policy page and a form page for making a training request.
- Everything as been uploaded as much as possible.
- Future material should be added as it is produced.
Upcoming training sessions - Carmène
- Nick did a training session in December (Dec 6). The training session went quite well at the church (St. Peter's). He had a crowd of about 30 people in attendance for a breakfast session where he gave a 1/5 hr review on how to get started caching. It was sponsored by Flotsom of Flotsom and Jetsom who are members of the congregation and there were two other geocachers in attendance. Everyone was happy with the material covered. It was very cold outside (-30s) so he didn't force anyone to go outside for a 'field' exercise but there is a cache just outside the hall and a few people did venture out to see what this was all about.
HTML Training - Dani
- Work has started on the presentation.
- Need to verify that the required equipment is available and functional before the session.
Contact Handling - Sandra
- General emails are often sent to the committee to review and answer.
- It was felt there should be a process in place so that we ensure these emails are answered in a timely manor and not forgotten.
- Either hand off the message to a particular person, or make sure to check back in a timely fashion and send a reply if none has been sent.
Spring AGM - Tim
- Suggestions for improvement to the AGM from last years event:
- potluck dinner/lunch or a cook-off (chili or cookie perhaps)
- new location not downtown
- weekend event instead of a weekday event
- A suggested date of March 21 or 22 was discussed, to be held at Scott and Tannis's church.
- The AGM will need further discussion.
- It was noted the Nominating committee must be struck 30 days prior to the AGM and Bylaw amendments are also needed at least 30 days prior.
Planning and Goals for 2009 and beyond
- Further discussions required.
Meeting adjourned by Tim 21:30 CST.