Cacher of the Month - January 2010
Improvising Reporter has the scoop. OH2MIC has finally caved in and answered some questions for the CoTM honor. With that said lets be off to his profile page to write the intro. What does OH2MIC mean? Well I had to ask Chewys for the translation. No it is not the chemical composition of maple syrup. As usual we go the picture. From this one we can see that OH2MIC likes street signs. After a visit to his house I found he has every room in the house covered with street signs obtained from every province and country he has visited in the past few years. We also see that OH2MIC is the Special Events Coordinator for the Manitoba Geocaching Association. This really translates into: he knows how to organize a party. OH2MIC has found over 5200 caches in his short career. OH2MIC started caching just after his nemesis OHMIC started in March 2003. He has matched OHMIC cache for cache ever since. When he gets to 10000 caches, his skills of "Special Event Coordinator" will be utilized for the BIG party. We are all looking forward to the 10000 cache as I am sure there will be fireworks at this party.
- When did you start Geocaching?
Just after that other guy that with almost the same name as me. That was back in March 2003.
- How did you find out about Geocaching?
I was reading a magazine about street signs and read an article on using GPS. Thought it was interesting so I bought a GPS.
- What was it about geocaching that got you hooked into the game?
It's all about the numbers. The bigger the find number the better I feel. After all, if I get to beat that other OHMIC guy, that would be a serious victory.
- Have you cached in any other provinces, countries?
I have cached in every province and territory, 195 countries and all U.S. states. I have managed to collect a street sign from almost every place as well.
- Have you ever introduced someone to geocaching? If so, who?
Let me see; M2H2Z, Jungleinmyhair, dani&carriere, Turdlesoup, Lizbardo and ertoo. I think they have enjoyed this hobby as much as I have.
- How do you describe the sport of Geocaching to your family and friends who haven't tried it yet?
I look for stuff with my GPS that other people hide. If the cache sucks I will recycle the cache container as I want to save the environment.
- What are other interests or hobbies that you have (please go into detail / accomplishments)?
STREET SIGNS!!! Now they really get my juices flowing. I have a collection of signs in excess of 2500. My favorite is a "NO PARKING" I got from the White House. The other one I really like is speed limit sign of 3 ½ mph from the NASA launch site.
- What are some things you don't like about geocaching? What are your pet peeves?
The part I dislike the most is the lack of caches available in my area. I can find as many as 100 caches in 1 day. There are just not enough cachers hiding caches to keep me going. I have to travel to far off lands to keep this addiction going. I guess another pet peeve is the fact I have to go to my addiction meetings every month. It really slows me down.
- What is the most interesting/unusual place that geocaching has taken you?
Last year I found an FTF cache that required me to travel 200 miles inland on the Amazon River. The cache was placed there in 1976. There were many notes about encounters with natives, man eating animals and piranhas. I had the US Army parachute me in there for free. At one point a tribe of man eating natives captured me and almost had me for dinner, but I escaped and paddled my kayak for 3 days straight to get away with the FTF. Many had tried and died, but with the skills I developed while working at the interpretative center, I manged to stay alive and steal the FTF before ertoo arrived.
- What is the most memorable cache that you have found (or tried to find?)?
I think this was answered in the last question.
- What is your favorite Caching Story?
Again, I think this was answered in question 9.
- What is your most interesting item found in a cache?
I found a street sign "The Big Easy 2 miles" in a cache in Dallas. Not sure if it was placed in the cache by a cacher or Katrina. Either way it was mine and I traded fairly for it.
- What items if any do you carry with you when you go on a hunt?
When traveling in the Amazon I took my wits with me but left common sense behind. I must remember that next time.
- What kind of GPSr do you use?
Anything that works. I have used everything ever made. When my batteries die I pull out the Sextant, astrolabe, pencil and paper.
- What methods do you use to avoid muggle detection?
My favorite if I am alone is to point to the sky and say "hey look is that the blimp or a UFO?" If I am caching in the US Midwest it is easy just yell "TWISTER" and everyone runs for cover and forget all about me.
- What is the meaning of your username?
OHmage to Manitoba's Industrious Cacher
- What was the most memorable travel bug that you have found?
That would be myself. I have had a Travel Bug id tattooed on my back. You heard that song "Sunday Morning After"? That is what happened to me except in stead of a snake tattoo it was a Travel Bug ID. Fortunately my tongue did not get pierced, it was my lip. I have been discovered all over this planet. Some places I don't even remember. Have to stop drinking that fermented maple syrup. Just need to get to Russia next and maybe the Antarctic. I really like it when someone takes me from a cache in Canada to a cache in a different country.
- Which geocachers do you respect or standout to you the most?
I like that guy that writes for the Cacher of the Month. He is imaginative and funny. He also is not that bad at finding caches. Some of the puzzles he solves just blow me away.
- With whom do you normally go geocaching?
I have found everything in this hemisphere and nobody wants to cache with me, so I usually go alone.
- If you could cache anywhere in the world, where would you like to go?
How about off this planet. I really want to place a cache on the moon and Mars. How cool would that be getting a log from the likes of Buzz Lightyear. Travel bugs landing here would have a bit of a wait to be moved.
- Is there a challenging local cache you have in your sights right now? Which one?
I don't think there is a local cache I haven't found. But then that depends on what you define as local.
- Of your placed caches, which is your favorite? Why?
I went to New Zealand I found this beautiful little village called the Shire. I asked if the geocache called The Ring was still active. They just kept telling me to see some guy named Frodo. Never did find him. He must have been on holiday. It was an interesting place but the locals freaked out when theses dudes showed up riding on black horses. That was when I decided to leave.
- What kind of books do you prefer to read? What was the last book you read?
I like comics. Especially the Archie comics. It will be a highlight when I finally get to see who Archie is going to marry. That Veronica is one hottie I think he should consider.
- Can you play a musical instrument?
Not sure if it has been classified as a musical instrument. I tour the US Midwest playing the Duck call, Turkey Call and occasionally enter the pig calling competitions. If I didn't have the job of Special Events Coordinator, this would be my next full time job.
- How far from your house is the nearest unfound cache?
13285 km. GC10CTQ I think there is still one on Kilimanjaro I have not made it back to yet.
- Besides your GPSr, what other tools (electronic or otherwise), or software do you make use of?
As I mentioned before, I carry a sextant, astrolabe, pencil, paper, compass. If I head out further than Steinbach then I take satellite phone. Anywhere outside of Canada I take a satellite dish and generator for almost instant access to geocaching.com. I have to log those finds as soon as I find them.
- Do you use your GPSr for other reasons other than Geocaching?
You can use the GPS for something other than finding caches?!
- What is in your iPod/CD player right now?
I have Michael Buble, Celine Dion, Ann Murray, Daler Mehndi and Metallica.
NOW WILL THE REAL OHMIC PLEASE STAND UP AND ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS!!!!!